HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Too cold to Auto Stop, but love the heater

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 AM
For my daughter
Default Re: Too cold to Auto Stop, but love the heater

After the bloc heater, This is my solution for the morning defrost of the windsheild.

It fit perfectly, no contact with seats.

Pierre M.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:53 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Holy macro, Pierre.

I bet that thing (depending on the setting) is rated at 1000+ watts. Am I right?

That's a little too effective for me.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-01-2007, 03:28 PM
For my daughter

Originally Posted by msantos
...I bet that thing (depending on the setting) is rated at 1000+ watts.
You win 1.5 time. It's 1500watts.

The idea is for very little use like 10 minutes before leave. There is nothing I hate more then stop at the next street 20 seconds after I left the home because the windsheild is completly frozen... and let the engin become hot to clean all that. A lot of CO2 just to clean a window.

Also, during freezing rain, that might be very helpful.

bye,

Pierre

Old 10-02-2007, 08:49 AM
1 tank at a time ...

Originally Posted by PapaMile
Thank you dogarm.

I made also a calculation this morning:
Cost of electricity : 0.0408$/Kwh
.0408 * 400watts * 5 hours * 260 day per year = 25.46$/year.
5 hours 260 is too much, that will lower than that.

Saving of fuel :0.2liters/100km(estimate)
0.2*30000km per year/100*$1.10 = $66.00/year
0.2 is pestimistic, that will be higher than that.

Conclusion:
This is a good economical decision
This is a good environmental decision
I have taken at lease one good decision in August

PierreM
Wow - I only wish our electric costs were as low as yours. Must be all that hydro power you have up there. I pay close to US$0.10/kWh.

Then again it rarely even gets to 0C here so I don't have to worry much about things like block heaters.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by rboerger
Wow - I only wish our electric costs were as low as yours. Must be all that hydro power you have up there. I pay close to US$0.10/kWh.

Then again it rarely even gets to 0C here so I don't have to worry much about things like block heaters.
Ditto.
Here in the Dallas area, I'm at 12.00 cents/kWh.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Ahh we are back to the Block Heater topics again. I employed mine about 2 weeks ago when the night temps were in the high 40s F. Anybody running calcs will find out that it is not economically worthwhile to run a Block Engine Heater but the rewards one gets far outweigh the cost of electricity to heat the car. You get to Auto Stop within the first 1 mile from home in sub-freezing temps, your defroster works instantly, the heat comes out within about 20 seconds on those frigid mornings.

Having a few blips on the Coolant gauge is not the real test. How quickly it rises to the 8 or 9 blips is the key (I have had this occur within 1 mile in Winter conditions). That made my previous Winter commute of 20 miles yield me 50 mpg rather than 35-40 mpg without the Block Heater.

The only caveat is remembering to unplug your non-plugin Hybrid before driving away. I use a 16-oz cup and invert it on the gearshift and write "BLOCK ENGINE HEATER" on it so I can't shift out of Park without noticing that. Has that stopped me from twice removing the cup and driving away? Nope. Luckily the plug undoes itself quite easily from the car so no damage (yet). I'm sure I will be asleep leaving one day and do that again.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Here ya go - one of my favorite photos from the Block Heater. Proof of Block Heater operation on snowy morning. If only I would have had the Thermometer in the photo and then another one after starting the car to show the 3 or 4 blips of Coolant temp on the gauge. =)

Also, the heat under the hood helps keep the Windshield Squirter lines unfrozen which was never mentioned in the brochures for the Block Heater but was a great add-on.