HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

TPMS Retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Hybrid Evangelist
Default TPMS Retrofit?

Anybody replaced their OEM TPMS with an aftermarket one like Orange Electric or Hella? I like the idea that I can actually see the tire pressures on the display, rather than just an alert that something is wrong.

Old 07-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: TPMS Retrofit?

How about this?

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ct-type-12913/

Anyhow, this system not only displays the individual tire pressures but also displays the tire temperatures and allows you to set your own custom alerts for pressure and temperature alike.
So far, I have yet to see a more capable or more affordable system.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Hybrid Evangelist

Does your car have factory TPMS? Any idea what the impact would if I changed out the sensors with aftermarket ones? Obviously the Honda system wouldn't receive the signals from the new sensors.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

My HCH-2's did not have factory TPMS as this remains a 2008+ option for US models only. However, my Prius' did have a factory TPMS but I simply chose to ignore it since the Toyota sensors were valve stem based.
The after market TPMS I installed afterwards are band mounted on the inner rim and as such they can co-exist with the factory TPMS sensors without any issues.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-05-2008, 05:13 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

hi MSantos,

after reading this discussion, I followed the links back and found your previous discussion of installing a nice TMPS system on your HCII. But I couldn't open the ebay link to the TMPS system that you installed. Could you post the brand/model, if that's appropriate on this discussion?

thanks! Pcope in Portland

Old 07-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

msantos -

I just followed the link and saw all the stuff you've got setup in your car already....all I can think of is that it looks like the tangled mess of cords that I had for my computer years ago! Not that your setup is messy, but just the number of items in that small of an area....crazy!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by pcope
hi MSantos,

after reading this discussion, I followed the links back and found your previous discussion of installing a nice TMPS system on your HCII. But I couldn't open the ebay link to the TMPS system that you installed. Could you post the brand/model, if that's appropriate on this discussion?

thanks! Pcope in Portland
Hi Philip;

Here's a link to the same product:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...MEWA:IT&ih=023

This TPMS is made/sold by APC (American Performance Corp)

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-05-2008, 05:45 PM
Rookie Enthusiast

thanks! And thanks for taking the time to post all the great info--

Philip

Old 07-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by wick1ert
msantos -

I just followed the link and saw all the stuff you've got setup in your car already....all I can think of is that it looks like the tangled mess of cords that I had for my computer years ago! Not that your setup is messy, but just the number of items in that small of an area....crazy!
You are right. It looks a little messy but that is because I also use that cubby hole to house a few extra things, like a mini USB hub that I use to charge phones, pda's and GPS receivers (among others) and additional 12V power outlets.

Cheers;

MSantos