HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

Came off a long hill at 45 coasting and finishing charging. When the land leveled out, I applied very slight throttle, and 2 assist bars came in with the mpg still pegged at 100. Then came an overpass about .2 of a mile later, and I figured that would blow it. But instead, more bars of assist came in as the speed slowed to 29mph, reaching 5 bars. On the other side, the land is as high as the top of the overpass, and the speed slowly went back to 30-31, and the assist bars stabilized at 4. I was on a lonely road, so I just let it go. Made about 1 mile, based on the crossroads, about 2 minutes total. SoC went down to a little under half. Then the motor kicked back in with the usual thump, and the mileage went down. Fun fun

Old 05-27-2007, 08:28 AM
G.H. Contributor
Thumbs up Re: Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

Originally Posted by TheBundo
Came off a long hill at 45 coasting and finishing charging. When the land leveled out, I applied very slight throttle, and 2 assist bars came in with the mpg still pegged at 100. Then came an overpass about .2 of a mile later, and I figured that would blow it. But instead, more bars of assist came in as the speed slowed to 29mph, reaching 5 bars. On the other side, the land is as high as the top of the overpass, and the speed slowly went back to 30-31, and the assist bars stabilized at 4. I was on a lonely road, so I just let it go. Made about 1 mile, based on the crossroads, about 2 minutes total. SoC went down to a little under half. Then the motor kicked back in with the usual thump, and the mileage went down. Fun fun
Brian,

Great-Job, big guy.

Hey it makes me wonder if a Thread should be Started with a Question like this ?

How far has anyone gone with (Electric-Assist-Only) with their HCH I or HCH II ????

Might be interesting to see the numbers.

This Thread and your Post here may get the Exact Same Results though:

Terry (tiger)

Hey here is 2-Thumbs Up for you

Old 05-27-2007, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

My longest was 2 miles (just over, actually!). Empty road... about 25 mph.

I've NEVER been able to get past four bars of assist in EV. Once it hits the fifth bar, the ICE instantly comes back on.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:07 AM

Out practicing getting into EV mod last night. Managed to do this on numerous occassions. I'm at 75.4 mpg and 10.3 miles. Very level road. I'm retired, so I don't get the opertunity to hypermile very often. I go out and pretend now and then! So far no fingers!!! Speed 40 to 50 mph. No trafic and fun I did notice that my mpg reading would not change. It was locked in on 5.2 lt. per 100Kil. and I tried eveything possible to get it to move up or down! I finally had too reset.This was on B, I'm not sure if A was locked , but it more than likely was. 2006 HCH 2 built in Aug. 06. Has anyone else had this problem? H

Old 05-27-2007, 11:25 AM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Anybody who can *accelerate* in EV mode, even a couple mph, is a god in my book.

--d

Old 05-29-2007, 06:39 AM
Enthusiast

I am confused over this. Anytime the car is running, the gas engine registers rpm's which climb, even when IMA shows any bars. How does one get the gas engine to stay off? As soon as I release the brake from a stop, the engine starts back up and stays on, regardless of level of acceleration or grade of road.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:20 AM

The electric mtr. is bolted too the crankshaft. When running on electric only mod. the electric motor turns the ice. The ice is closed off ie. no fuel and or air. It would be nice if there was a clutch between the ice and elc. motor?

Old 05-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
The electric mtr. is bolted too the crankshaft. When running on electric only mod. the electric motor turns the ice. The ice is closed off ie. no fuel and or air. It would be nice if there was a clutch between the ice and elc. motor?
If this is the case, then why do I actually hear the gas engine accelerate as well as see the rpms increase? The same question stand for when I release the brake and the engine cuts back on. I know I am burning fuel, becuase I can watch the mileage drop when in stop and go traffic or idling at a stop with autostop not engaged.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Many agree, that having a clutch between the motor/stator and the ICE's crankshaft is the obvious major next step in the evolution of the IMA platform. Let's hope that this improvment is indeed a part of the IMA gen 5 update due in 2009.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-29-2007, 09:57 AM

A clutch and a bigger electric mtr! And I guess a larger battery pack H

Quick Reply: Went over 1 mile in electric only yesterday

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands