HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

XM reception update

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: XM reception update

Originally Posted by JRCaesar
My dealer advised that the SkyFi/Terk antenna combination I had is better than -- and certainly a better deal than -- adding the factory XM radio to the new car. So I simply reinstalled in the new car ... with antenna just under the inside windshield, as I'd had it in my Accord. No problems.
It does work, as long as you don't mind a non-integrated solution. I was so fed up with having added satellite receivers, GPS units and phones around my car, causing a clutter, that I made GPS and XM factory integration a requirement.

Old 12-23-2006, 06:20 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Otto
Sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy. Here is the invoice.

I hate to ask you this, but would you mind typing in those part numbers? My dealer's not finding them in his system, and I think I may not be reading them correctly.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blinkard
I hate to ask you this, but would you mind typing in those part numbers? My dealer's not finding them in his system, and I think I may not be reading them correctly.

Thanks!
No problem.

Goodwill trial installation of '07 XM / civic antenna to replace factory aftermarket frt windshield antenna replaced XM antennae with 07 antannae, working as designed intent.

39151-SWA-A11 Element Assy
39152-SNC-A51 Base, Antenna
39163-SNA-A01 Feeder Assy., XM
990221 Zip Ties
06991-SA5-000 EPT Sealer 5T

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Old 12-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Active Enthusiast

Interesting to hear all this. I just got Sirius for my HCH II, and it is awesome. Routed the antenna around the rear window, into the trunk, through the exisiting speaker holes, behind the seats, under the moulding on the side, up the rubber moulding on the drivers door and mounted on the tiny drivers window. Wires are invisible, patch cable to AUX input ensures CD-quality sound. It's awesome. It's a joy to listen to radio again. Can't believe the built in XM isn't as good as a plug and play kit.

Old 12-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JordanCS
Interesting to hear all this. I just got Sirius for my HCH II, and it is awesome. Routed the antenna around the rear window, into the trunk, through the exisiting speaker holes, behind the seats, under the moulding on the side, up the rubber moulding on the drivers door and mounted on the tiny drivers window. Wires are invisible, patch cable to AUX input ensures CD-quality sound. It's awesome. It's a joy to listen to radio again. Can't believe the built in XM isn't as good as a plug and play kit.
The factory installation, with the antenna on the front windscreen, would have been acceptable for most people. I am just picky, and felt that the signal fading out needed to be minimized.

Since satellite is digital, it either works or does not work. The only difference is how suceptable the signal is to fading out. Mount your antenna to the roof of your car, and you will rarely, if ever, loose a signal.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Active Enthusiast

Chris,

I just wanted to thank you for all this great information you posted here regarding the XM antenna. I too had the same problem. The Honda antenna was just not getting it done. I even went as far as to mount it on the exterior. No change. I eventually installed a $15 aftermarket antenna from Best Buy which outperformed the Honda antenna. Only problem was I could not make a direct connection due to the special Honda connector so I cut and spliced. It was functional but I don't know for how long.

After I saw your post I contacted my dealer and told him about the success you had with the 07 antenna. He told me he would contact their Honda Rep and see if they would authorize it for me. A few days later he informed me that the Honda Rep could not authorize putting an 07 part on a 06 vehicle. There are no bulletins that say this is a viable solution.

After getting this news I decided to contact the dealership you listed and talked to Tom Quinlan the service manager. I wanted to find out how difficult it was to do the changeout and possibly just buy the 07 antenna and do it myself. He then said if I wanted to bring my car there he would be happy to do the same warranty service that he gave you. He did not realize I lived too far away for this to be a good solution. ( These Guys really great. Its hard to find a good dealership like this one. ) Well this got my mind to thinking. I live in Socal and its been a while since we visited the Bay area, it might be a good time to take a long weekend and get the antenna done at the same time.

Well a few days later my dealership here calls me to find out if I am ready to get the recall done on my car for the DC cable. I told him that I was thinking about driving to the Bay area on a mini vacation to get the antenna done under warranty as you did and I was going to let them do the recall also since the rear seat would probably have to removed to do the antenna anyway and at that point it would be quite simple for them to do the recall work. A few hours later he called me back and told me to bring my car in for the recall and the 07 antenna. All work to be performed under warranty.

I picked my car up this evening. Everything is great. The new antenna works perfectly. Thanks for your help.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dburanich
Chris,

I just wanted to thank you for all this great information you posted here regarding the XM antenna. I too had the same problem. The Honda antenna was just not getting it done.

I'm glad to hear that I was able to help someone out. Also very nice to hear that Walnut Creek Honda was as curteous to you as they have been to me. They truely are a class act.