HAH Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 07:25 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: HAH Remote Starter

Originally Posted by PhoenixDown
I've always been told that its good to warm up your car first, thats one reason why I want to get a remote start. I had the bad habit of jumping in and just driving my old car cold and I think it led to the engine going out on it.
Don't know your exact situation, but I assume it gets pretty cold where you live? I installed an engine block heater. I run it for about 2 hourson a timer before I head out to work in the morning. It's great. The car will idle at about 1500 rpms when dead cold. With the heater, 1100. I get heat in the cabin after about 2-3 blocks. I've only had it a couple of weeks, and I won't see anymore real cold this year. But next winter when it gets to 0 deg and below, I suspect I'll have to run it longer to get the same results.

You can run the heater for 2.5 hours on one kwh of electricity. My electric costs about 8 cents per kwh, so not a bad price for a little creature comfort and a little less worry about the running the engine cold. When I leave work, of course it isn't plugged in (although that would be a nice perk - maybe I'll talk to the boss ). But at least 50% of the time the sun has been shining, the daytime temps are warmer and the car isn't quite so frigid.

And, of course, running an engine hard that is cold is going to be bad for it no matter what. Not saying this is what you did, but I always baby it a little the first mile, heater or no.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:30 AM
World's First Hybrid

Originally Posted by toast64
You can run the heater for 2.5 hours on one kwh of electricity. My electric costs about 8 cents per kwh, so not a bad price for a .
OMG......8 cents.....we are getting porked here in the NE. My rates just went up, and we now pay 19 cents per KWH.....(up from 13 cents). They are sucking us dry here in boston area...sheeesh..

electrons are all the same so why??

Old 03-17-2006, 04:52 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ralph_dog
OMG......8 cents.....we are getting porked here in the NE. My rates just went up, and we now pay 19 cents per KWH.....(up from 13 cents). They are sucking us dry here in boston area...sheeesh..

electrons are all the same so why??
I don't want to hijack this thread from the original intent, but I went back and checked and yup, .0875 cents per kwh (so roughly 9 cents, but close enough for comparison). Quite a difference. I think at the prices you're paying I'd also be looking through the hybrid house forums!

Of course electrons are electrons, but unfortunately transmission costs prohibit free distribution even though the grid is all tied together (more or less). And if a corporation sees an opening in a demand from consumers, watch out.....

Old 03-17-2006, 06:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I highly recommend a block heater. I picked one up, just haven't installed it yet. The car will be up to temp within a mile (versus 2 or 3), without 10minutes of idling, using gas, and needless emission. Remember- a cold engine has few emission controls until the catalytic heats up. Might as well put that dirty exhaust to work moving the car. Also, when it is started, the fluid is already warmer- that much better for the engine overall (but minimal benefit).

Yes of course the heater uses electricity...probably from coal. But from a well-regulated power plant that can generate a single kWh more efficiently than a cold ICE can.

There are some threads back a way here and in the civic forum about block heaters and the cost to install and use them vs burning gas is idle or even just cold-engine driving with low FE. The heater does well in comparison- payback potentially within one season.

Old 03-17-2006, 06:14 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PhoenixDown
I've always been told that its good to warm up your car first, thats one reason why I want to get a remote start. I had the bad habit of jumping in and just driving my old car cold and I think it led to the engine going out on it.
Old cars yes. Modern cars no. In fact Ford is on record (unfortunately can't find the link) as recommending no MORE than 30sec idling from cold startup before driving it. I'm fairly sure its in the owners manual too- need to check that.