Q for owners from potential buyer

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Q for owners from potential buyer

Originally Posted by bar10dah
The autostop still works at up to (and possibly higher) 117 degrees. I've been there on numerous occasions this past summer!
Hmmm, not in our car. I was in Phoenix June 18-19 and again July 14-17 when it was hitting 115+, and consistently when the outside temperature gauge showed 107 F the autostop worked, and as soon as it showed 108 F it didn't autostop anymore on both trips. Maybe it's related more to the temperature in the cabin vs. what I had it set at (ususally 66 F, or 68 F with the wife in the car), or to the coolant temperature than outside temperature??? At least the coolant temp never quite got up to halfway on the gauge even in that heat.

Old 08-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Well let me ask this then, is the worth the extra $3000 over the normal Honda Accord, because I'd imagine the FE would be fairly close for the short daily drive?

Old 08-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Normal Honda Accord? You mean the 4 cyl LX? Or the EX-V6 equipped just like the HAH?

If you're looking at the base model Accord, and all you care about is FE, you'll be better suited with the base model.

But if you're looking at a comparably equipped Accord, but in the non-hybrid version, then the cost between the two is somewhere around $1,500 dependent on where you get it from. If you want a nicer car AND good FE, the HAH is my vote.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:55 AM
Enthusiast

One thing to take into consideration when comparing a HAH with a standard V6 Accord is that the HAH has the realtime mileage display. This provides a great deal of feedback when "learning" to drive the vehicle for best FE. There is a learning curve. My first tanks weren't great, but I managed to average between 30 and 31 mpg driving 13 miles in the city with the speed limit between 35 and 55 and 13 stop lights on my commute. You don't have to drive like a granny, but you do have to fight the urge to lead the pack away from the stop light.

I just changed jobs and my commute is 17 miles with mostly highway. Unfortunately, there is a 10 minute wait in stop and go traffic before I get on the highway. Present FE is right at 30 mpg for this commute, but improving.

While the numbers say the HAH isn't much better than the standard V6 Accord, I think in practice the difference is larger.

Old 08-22-2006, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Is there a reason you wouldn't consider the Camry Hybrid?

Its sort of a happy medium between the Prius and the Accord Hybrid--much, much better performance than the Prius, much better fuel economy than the Accord Hybrid.

Pricing is about the same as the Accord Hybrid, except that you can get the Camry Hybrid without leather and a sunroof if you want to go cheaper still. Plus, you can get some features that aren't in the Accord, a new body style, etc.

If you want a Camry Hybrid and hustle, you can still qualify for a $2600 tax credit--double what is on the Accord--and then you have a big cost advantage. Personally, I have a red Camry Hybrid with a sunroof and mirror package (but not leather and nav). I paid $26500 for it, but will get a $2400 rebate on top of that so the true cost to me will be $24100. I drive very aggressively and still manage 35 mpg (40+ on the highway).

Last edited by MFLetou; 08-22-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast

I like the performance of the HAH over the Camry. In addition, I feel like the Honda is built better. Somehow feels sturdier to me. Based on the original message, it sounds like you would prefer the TCH. I would say go with your gut and what will make you happy. Every time my wife is in my '06 HAH with me, she sees how much I enjoy driving it, and she always says it is worth the extra money just to see me happy (I have a great wife!). So, life is short. Go with which one will bring you more enjoyment. If you want mileage, go for the TCH. If you want gadgets, toys and a really fun car, then pick the HAH.

Old 08-23-2006, 08:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I would agree that if you want the absolute best performance, the Accord Hybrid is the way to go. And its a great car, I shopped it extensively before buying a Camry.

But I'm not aware of any toys that aren't available on the TCH that are on the HAH. I personally didn't want a NAV system, so in my case the TCH had more toys--the TCH comes standard with a fully enabled blue tooth system. The stereo system is also significantly better in the TCH. (JBL 44o watt). Also, if safety is a concern, the stablity control system in the TCH is a generation better than the HAH--its got the integrated Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Managment system that is only available on Lexus vehicles.

But anyway, they are both great cars--I'm just think that the OP might want to take a look at the Camry, too. Sounds like it might a good happy medium for him.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Dual-Hybrid First Adopter

[QUOTE=citywolf]I like the performance of the HAH over the Camry. In addition, I feel like the Honda is built better. Somehow feels sturdier to me. /QUOTE]

I did notice a (very slight) difference in the build quality of the 2005 vs. 2006 HAH, mostly with the new back end/trunk design. Granted my 2005 was a November 2004 build and probably one of the first ones off the line, but I notice a very very nice solid "thunk" when closing the trunk of the 06 vs a more metallic "slam" of the 05

The door closing on the 06 seems to have more of a Lexus-like "thunk" to them too, but I'm sure that's subjective. It seems to have more of the feel of a $30,000 car now.