Thinking about buying an 05 HAH w/112K

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast
Default Thinking about buying an 05 HAH w/112K

I am looking a buying an 2005 HAH that has 112K on the clock. It has been to dealer for the 110K services according to the seller (private party).

What should I look for?

I am really looking forward to tinkering with this technology. I would like to predict likely repairs up to around 175K so know what to expect if possible.

As I get involved with this I will help add to our collective knowledge.

Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking about buying an 05 HAH w/112K

I believe lebloom has an '05 with upwards of 160K miles on his. He will have some good experience to share with you. Only a handful of the members here are over 112K miles. Not many are able to share their experiences past that mileage. I'm only in the 90K miles range. My commute is only 1.3 miles, so I won't be up there anytime soon.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

I can't find anything that makes me think these cars are primarily lemons so I am picking it up this week.

Looks like it will need brakes and brake fluid flush but I can do that myself.

I will keep posting as to what I see over time and miles since I will be starting out at 112K and we will see how long it goes.

The price is right and the body is perfect inside and out.

I asked a battery rebuilder how much it would cost for me to buy the battery and the said around 1750 plus 200 shipping.

Dealer says 3K still, so they are just going to hold to their price at this point.

Old 02-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Enthusiast

I will be driving about 30-50 miles a day so it we should see what it's good for before long.

I think it will be a good experience for me regardless. I like to learn new technologies and have already learn allot about the other models out there.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:26 PM

So Broncofever, it's been three months. What have you learned?

Old 05-11-2011, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Re: Thinking about buying an 05 HAH w/112K

Thanks for asking,

I love this car.
At this point the car has 117K on the clock.
Things I have done to it to date;
Changed the oil.
Replaced the start battery. (the old one tested good but I wanted to make sure it is not a problem anytime soon)
Tinted the windows.
Fixed the Navigation. (sent it to Alpine)
Bought a second key for it from the dealer! (pricey)
It gets about 27.8 MPG. I drive some highway (65) and some in town (stop and go).

So that is it for what I have done to get it up to par for me.

Next on the list,
All 4 brakes I will do this summer.
Maybe wheels and tires to make it look less "cloned". (that's just me)
I will take my buffer to it and make the white so bright it hurts your eyes to look at it............

I have figured out that there is not much I can not fix in this car. Like most cars that are new technology to me, I have found that it is just little different.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:40 AM

The start battery, I guess you're referring to the 12V battery under the hood? That battery doesn't start the car, the 144V hybrid batteries in the back does. Although, with a weak 12V battery, the electronics won't power up enough to be able to allow the 144V batteries to start the car.

Extra keys from H&A are something like $35!! How much did the dealer charge??

I just redid the brakes on mine. I didn't need to, but I was getting a slight pulsing in the pedal. I could have just gotten the rotors turned, but thought since I was in there I'd upgrade a little. I used Napa Premium rotors and pads. No complaints. Stops nice and smooth now.

If you haven't gotten one yet, pick up a Factory Service Manual. I got mine from Helm, but H&A also sells them. Cheaper, if I recall correctly. I think they have it for $85?

Glad to hear your car is doing well!

Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Yes the 12v battery under the hood. I was wondering about the actual start mechanism, that makes sense now why is starts so effortlessly.

The dealer charged me $35 for the key and another $35 to program it!!! That is the one with the remote. I also got a non remote key and it was $25 and they cut it at the same time. Seams rich for a key???

I do need to get the manual. What is "Helm" so I can look it up.

I was going to trun the rotors and do the Napa Premium pads but I think I will just buy rotors to save time. There are not a lot of places to trun them here and they take too long when they do. What rotors did you end up with?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Enthusiast

I found the Helm manuals.
Will this work or should I get the 2005 only book? I don't know what the (KA) stands for yet.
2005-2006 Accord Hybrid Service Manual (KA)

This is the 2005 only book I believe.
2005 Accord Hybrid Service Manual

Old 05-11-2011, 05:00 PM

KA refers to the emissions system. KA stands for 49-states.

Mine is only the 2005 edition. Which, serves me just fine. I would imagine the 2005-2006 edition came out because of a few slight differences from those two model years. For one thing, they had to account for the sunroof. Also the LED taillights. I can't think what else, but there were a few other small changes, too. I'd think the 2005-2006 version would be the most up to date. But either way, you should be good to go.

Okay, $35 isn't bad for that key. It's not good either, but at least not any more than you can get them for online. When you said you paid a lot, I was thinking in the $100s. Sure, $35 is still expensive.

The way the car starts, when you turn the key on, the 12V battery is connected to the car's computer and other associated electronics. Once those boot up, they allow the IMA system to engage the electric drive motor, with the 144V battery supplying the power. The electric motor spins the crankshaft and the car "starts." Super quiet. No cranking of a conventional starter. Well, unless your 12V battery is fine and your 144V battery is depleted. Then the conventional starter engages and starts the car. Pretty cool.

I went with the Napa Adaptive One Ceramic brake pads and Napa Premium rotors. I too didn't want to deal with turning the rotors. Since I'd have it all apart anyways, why not save some time and just replace the rotors. I've found them to be pretty true right out of the box. Lower quality rotors, even when brand new, may still need truing before being installed. Check out this post about replacing pads/rotors.

Last edited by bar10dah; 05-11-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying an 05 HAH w/112K

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands