1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 1st 05 HCH winter driving experience

?? Am I driving the same car as the topic starter? I have had -0- problems with my 2005 HCH in the snow and cold, and definately no problems with stearing. Could it possibly be a problem with driving technique? I drive 60-100 miles a day in the snow. I dont accelerate like a bat out of hell, I dont tailgate or pull out in front of people. I lay off the gas on corners and in deep snow, or slush crud, I keep an even foot on the accelerator just to maintain speed. Also, ahving to lay off the gas to keep from spinning the tires or to get control back is normal in winter driving.

Check out the weather for Traverse City michigan. it has been cold and very snowy, and most mornings I am the first one on the road (a side dirt road in fact).

Old 12-08-2005, 06:41 PM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by martyllian
...Could it possibly be a problem with driving technique? I drive 60-100 miles a day in the snow. I dont accelerate like a bat out of hell, I dont tailgate or pull out in front of people....
I doubt it. I drive much the same way you do. Recall I was driving on snow packed and glazed roads, a bit different than deeper unpacked snow. And there was quite a bit of wind. If I drove "slow enough" I didn't have any problem either. But in the 05 HCH I had to drive slower than in others cars I'm familiar with.

Read the reviews of the HCH, you see it's electronic power-steering often criticized.

Perhaps I am a more spirited driver than you, thankfully there is a car that can accommodate me.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Today was fun with the SP20s (aka deathrap) tires. I was fighting them the whole way. I have about 35K miles on them so that probably doesn't help. I believe cars with traction control are a lot easier to drive in the snow, but I've grown up in MA where snowy winters and unplowed roads are common. I like the fight Though, there is NO WAY I'm ever going to replace these tires with the same model. I'm probably going for blizaks when these wear out if they are still available. BTW, whats the milage rating on the SP20? I sure hope they aren't 80K mile tires

Old 12-08-2005, 07:34 PM
'lectronimo

Originally Posted by tbaleno
...I believe cars with traction control are a lot easier to drive in the snow,...
Gosh are they ever :-)

Originally Posted by tbaleno
I'm probably going for blizaks when these wear out if they are still available.
Blizaks are great winter tires but you'll want to take the off in the summer months. Go back to my earlier post with the Tire Rack link, and check out some of the top rated Goodyears and Yokohamas. They might serve you purpose without the need to swap rubber seasonally. (BTW I grew up in Chicagoland, I know what you're up against)