2004 civic hybrid IMA light, check engine light and additional symptoms occurring

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 01:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2004 civic hybrid IMA light, check engine light and additional symptoms occurring

Just bought an 04 civic hybrid. Everything was good for a couple weeks. One day while driving, I began to loose all electrical functions, guages, radio, power steering and the car just died. All dash lights were on and the IMA and check engine light came on. This cat has a new 12 volt battery and I understand the hybrid battery provides the charge for this battery. The battery guage was also flat. A jump start got everything working again, including the battery charge and all instrumentation showing when the car charges and when it is assisting. The IMA and check engine never went off. The problem with the 12 volt batter and the overall function of the hybrid battery are definitely in question. Is it safe to assume it is time for a new hybrid battery? Even though I get 40 mpg, every time I leave from a stop, it sounds like the car is dragging the rear tires when I take off. With only a 1.3L gas engine it certainly feels like I am getting zero assistance from the electric motor. I can change the battery, but is it possible it’s the modules and not the battery. I saw a video of a guy that bought a hybrid cheap, rebuilt the existing battery but it would not deliver current to the motor for assistance. They were pretty sure it was a module issue at that point. Any help apart from a dealer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:37 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2004 civic hybrid IMA light, check engine light and additional symptoms occurring

OBDII standard has been around since 1996. It still baffles me that it doesn't occur to folks to ASK the car what's wrong via checking codes. The car is literally trying to tell you what wrong. Just ask. It will tell you.

You have bought an 18 year old hybrid vehicle. Any expectations of reliability are misplaced.