Auto Stop vs Park

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:27 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Auto Stop vs Park

BTW, it seems everyone here is talking about automatic transaxles. I have a 5-speed (love it, wouldn't have another auto for anything), and AS works similarly, but not the same. As you brake (engine or mechanical) to a stop and you get below about 20mph, and with the car out of gear, the engine stops. A note on AS - it's not the same as turning the car off, since all the systmes (except a/c) still work. The radio plays, the fan runs, the lights stay on, signals work, etc. Just the gas engine is shut off. As soon as you put the manual transaxle back in gear, the engine jumps (roars?) back to life and off you go. I read one "review" (***** session actually) by a "professional" in a magazine saying that it was like learning to drive at age 15 again, playing footsie trying not to stall it out before the engine came back to life, etc. What a load of horse hockey. I've never yet beaten the engine with my foot.

Butch