Changing oil on a HCH1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!
Default Changing oil on a HCH1?

Hi guys,

I have a HCH1. I went under the car for the first time after buying it (its used) and what do I remove to find the drain plug and oil filter?

The huge plastic piece? Im really confused and feel dumb!

Thanks!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:01 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Changing oil on a HCH1?

it s not hard dont worry I have changed every 6 of my oil changes

you must look for depression in the plastic where there are what I call removable plastic rivits they have a head around 5/8 in diameter, I use two flat bladed screw driver, each head has two recessed areas 180 degrees apart. put your screw driver blades under and pull the flat head out around 3/8 of an inch. it retrect the toggle like wings of the attachment device and then pulls out by hand. i leave one in and simply rotate the plastic wind shield to expose the oil drain (its marked) and the filter . it may be best to have some replacment of these plastic anchors in case you break some so you get the plastic back. the plastic keeps many part clean and i would think provides aeordynamics to the car. get three extras. they are reusable if you remove them properly , filter and plug are normal I would suggest new crush washer for the oil drain plug

Old 01-28-2007, 05:00 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

Great - thanks man.

It's hard to get off those clips when the car is not on a lift, but its not impossible.

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Active Enthusiast

I drive up on to 2X6 planks. It's more than enough to get to the filter and drain plug. I also put all the rivets into a plastic cup, and spray with WD-40 to keep them "viable". I've got ~120k miles on my '04, original plastic rivets.