Consumer Reports on EPA vs. real-world

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Consumer Reports on EPA vs. real-world

I can say how because my wife manages this milage when she drives the hch, which hurts the overall milage.

1. Turn off ECON and run the AC regardless of the outside temp
2. treat the gas and brake pedal like a toggle switch

I can guarantee you that these folks don't read drivers manuals. Also, I've NEVER bought a new car with the tire pressure CLOSE to the recommended pressure. You put my wife in a HCH with 25 pounds of air in the tires and the milage they got is a gift.

Old 09-08-2005, 10:39 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Consumer Reports on EPA vs. real-world

Currently on my second tank of gas and having driven only about 700 miles, my HCH is getting around 45mpg on this tank and 42mpg overall minus 100 miles because I erased the wrong counter. Where I drive, I have a lot of steep if not long and large hills and I still speed, in addition to that I haven't added any extra air to the tires or anything else like that. When I was driving like a hybrid driver at the start of my tank I was getting about 50mpg. As you can see from this, CR was doing something wrong. I drive my new HCH like I drove my 94 accord before it, hard and fast. And I still get only 1 mpg less than EPA rating.

(I have slowed down a bit due to horsepower , but even with driving like a mad man I got about 40mpg on my first tank)