Which devices use 12V Lead Acid Cell and which one uses th 158V NiMH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Which devices use 12V Lead Acid Cell and which one uses th 158V NiMH?

Originally Posted by raidfibre
1. No, that will not negatively affect your 12v system. 3A will be fine, and the high current surges are not "that high" for a 12v system. The DC/DC can handle it.
Ok.

2. Keep it in the trunk if you like, if you'd perhaps want more 12v capacity. You can have your car charge it by hooking it in parallel with your car's 12v battery. Put a fuse on BOTH ends of the +12v wire that passes through the vehicle, if you do this. You can't do this in a normal car because the starter will draw too much current and blow the fuse. Yay IMA..
I might go this route, we'll see. I have an automatic battery combiner (voltage sensitive) that I used with an auxiliary battery in the trunk of my Passat W8 (two cars ago). It worked well and was easy to wire since the W8 had a 12V power outlet in the trunk. I haven't measured the 12V system voltage in the HCHII yet, does it stay at around 14V while the car is powered up, similar to an alternator on a regular car?

...I don't know where your antenna is or what band your radio is on, but I'd try it first then work on filtering if you find that you have problems...
My radio is capable of 2m (~144MHz) and 70cm (~440MHz). I'll probably use a trunk lip mount, but I may end up with something on the roof if performance isn't great. I guess I'll worry about interference if I run into it

I also have a mobile HF radio that I really only use in the house or while camping. I might install it in the HCH at some point, but that brings along with it another set of issues (i.e. larger antenna, higher power requirements, more susceptible to RFI/EMI, etc.).

Thanks for the information.

- Lawrence

Last edited by larryka; 02-29-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Which devices use 12V Lead Acid Cell and which one uses th 158V NiMH?

I would recommend getting the service manual, rather than the electrical manual. The service manual has a LOT of electrical information, along with tons of useful info about the car. I got mine used on eBay. I think it was like $40 or something. If you search around, I posted the price up here a while back.

Old 02-29-2008, 12:48 PM
Hybrid Owner

So you were the goon I was competing against!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

hahaha. maybe .