Help i've lost my manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help i've lost my manual

Please help! i have been driving my HCH since January using the highest grade octane? one day when i was credit cardless i used the lowest grade and hoped for the best. My fuel economy soared. I am talking 50-56nmpg highway and 43-47 city. what is the octane recommended for the HCH I would really appreciate the info. Thanks

Old 06-30-2005, 07:32 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help i've lost my manual

I would bet that it's designed for regular unleaded.

Look on Honda's web site at:
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...rid&Category=3

So, better mileage and cheaper at the pumps! Why waste your money?

Regards,

Old 06-30-2005, 07:35 PM
Rarely post anything

Hi, RitaK7:

You can stick with 86-87 octane; every Honda that I know of (except for *maybe* the S2K) is designed to run on it, and the owner's manual actually specifies that using a higher octane is a waste of money (there are some engines, such as the 3.0L V6, that will gain an extra 10hp by using premium, but that's not common knowledge). Acuras tend to use premium; they're tuned for a bit more performance on average.

Speaking of the owner's manual, you should be able to get it at Honda's Owner Link site - www.ahm-ownerlink.com
You'll have to register in order to use the site, but it's well worth it - check it out and you'll see what I mean.

Good job on the mileage! Consider entering your car in the mileage database - we can always use another Honda!

Old 06-30-2005, 10:20 PM
Brains of the Operation

The HCH uses regular old 87 octane gas. The manual actually says "86 or higher", but conventional wisdom and previous discussions on this forum all point to regular unleaded as the fuel of choice for the Civic. That's what I put in mine, anyway. I don't know if there are any detrimental effects of higher octane gas.