IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

Hi there - I am a 2005 HCH owner, in the state of CA. My car has 98K miles on it, and the IMA light came on the other day. I took it to our local dealer to get the diagonistic test. It came back with a failing IMA code, and was told my IMA battery would need to be replaced for about $3k.

Now I am in the state of CA, and my car is certified PZEV and SLUV (Tier II). Therefore, my IMA battery should be under warranty until 10/150,000. The dealer tried to convince me that I was wrong, my battery was NOT covered, and my car was ULUV only and did not meet the state requirements.

I had a pretty good feeling that they were trying to trick me, so I contacted Honda America. The customer service rep I talked to was very vague, but said there was absolutely nothing in her records (based on VIN) that would tell me whether my car was covered.

So since neither Honda entity was going to help me, I did some reseach on my own, and determined that my car was indeed covered.

I called Honda America back again, and my complaint was escalated to a "case manager". He immediately tried to convince me that, yes my car was PZEV, but based on my VIN it was not covered. He said that even though my car was certified PZEV in the state of CA, it really didn't matter. Some cars were covered, some were not, and it was all based on VIN and some info he had in his database. He then goes on to say, "your car is NOT covered, but Honda wants to keep you happy, so would you be satisfied with Honda covering half of the $3k?" Heck, no - they should cover it all. By law.

After talking to two California state departments (Bureau of Auto Repair, and CARB) they encouraged me to file a complaint, because what Honda America (and the dealership) was saying was not true, and they felt I was being duped.

I called back my case manager, and requested my denial of coverage in writing, along with any support he had based on my VIN and the Honda database. My husband followed up with a call, basically saying that we knew my car was covered, and we weren't going to go away.

Literally, an hour later, I got a call from the dealership saying my IMA battery would be replaced for free.

I wanted to share my experience ASAP, because I feel that this a shady tactic from the top of the company, down. If we hadn't been persistent, and had just TRUSTED Honda, we would be out $3k. I believe that Honda is most likely pulling this scam on a lot of people, and I wanted to tell people to talk to your state board, and stay on them. Don't believe everything they tell you. And if this has happened to you, please feel free to contact me. I think it's time to shine light on this bad business practice.

Old 10-01-2010, 05:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

Maybe it's time some folks higher up shine some light on Honda. Steadfast bending and perverting of the rules they layed out is going to come back to bite them.

Good to hear it worked out for you, finally

Last edited by Mendel Leisk; 10-01-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for that info, my warranty for the Hybrid parts on my 2010 is 15/150,000, be advised that they bumped it up.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:57 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CaliHCH
Hi there - I am a 2005 HCH owner, in the state of CA. My car has 98K miles on it, and the IMA light came on the other day. I took it to our local dealer to get the diagonistic test. It came back with a failing IMA code, and was told my IMA battery would need to be replaced for about $3k.

Now I am in the state of CA, and my car is certified PZEV and SLUV (Tier II). Therefore, my IMA battery should be under warranty until 10/150,000. The dealer tried to convince me that I was wrong, my battery was NOT covered, and my car was ULUV only and did not meet the state requirements.

I had a pretty good feeling that they were trying to trick me, so I contacted Honda America. The customer service rep I talked to was very vague, but said there was absolutely nothing in her records (based on VIN) that would tell me whether my car was covered.

So since neither Honda entity was going to help me, I did some reseach on my own, and determined that my car was indeed covered.

I called Honda America back again, and my complaint was escalated to a "case manager". He immediately tried to convince me that, yes my car was PZEV, but based on my VIN it was not covered. He said that even though my car was certified PZEV in the state of CA, it really didn't matter. Some cars were covered, some were not, and it was all based on VIN and some info he had in his database. He then goes on to say, "your car is NOT covered, but Honda wants to keep you happy, so would you be satisfied with Honda covering half of the $3k?" Heck, no - they should cover it all. By law.

After talking to two California state departments (Bureau of Auto Repair, and CARB) they encouraged me to file a complaint, because what Honda America (and the dealership) was saying was not true, and they felt I was being duped.

I called back my case manager, and requested my denial of coverage in writing, along with any support he had based on my VIN and the Honda database. My husband followed up with a call, basically saying that we knew my car was covered, and we weren't going to go away.

Literally, an hour later, I got a call from the dealership saying my IMA battery would be replaced for free.

I wanted to share my experience ASAP, because I feel that this a shady tactic from the top of the company, down. If we hadn't been persistent, and had just TRUSTED Honda, we would be out $3k. I believe that Honda is most likely pulling this scam on a lot of people, and I wanted to tell people to talk to your state board, and stay on them. Don't believe everything they tell you. And if this has happened to you, please feel free to contact me. I think it's time to shine light on this bad business practice.
The key in your post to me was to ask for their response in writing. If they had said you weren't covered in writing, then the cost share would make sense as a solution. But since it wasn't put in writing, you had the high ground on this one.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Same thing happened to me. My personal 03 HCH had the batteries replaced at 120,000 miles at a dealership in Anaheim, Ca. All the usual lights came on; I brought it in; got it back the next day, no questions asked. All covered under warranty.

In my government issued work 03 HCH, all the usual lights came on at 15,000 miles. (yes, I don't drive it much) Brought it to the SAME dealer who said it would be about $3,300 to replace the batteries. My personal and my work HCH are pretty much identical. (ones gold and the other is white) Their VIN numbers are just a hair off from being the same.

Mine stopped at the Service Manager. I confronted him, and within 15 minutes he agreed to replace the batteries, no charge.

I believe if you walk in there with all your ducks in a row loaded to the hilt with knowlege, and call their bluff, they usually back down.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Enthusiast

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me in VA. I'm in the process of having the state chase down Honda and make them fix my car as well.

Yes, they will lie to you over and over and all the way up the chain in order to hide from replacing your IMA or battery. It's institutional at Honda...and I will never buy one again.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

Wish me luck
My light is on and the battle begins...

Old 10-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Been reading alot here about Honda wanting to get out of paying for replacing batteries. Plus they may be trying to cover up battery failures on the HCH II with a software "update". How did Honda get such a good rep, with crap like this?!

Old 10-06-2010, 12:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Short answer, they didn't. They got their good rep with years of reliable, trouble-free product and decent customer relations. But with the wrong crew and attitude most anything can get torn down.

It's a head shaker to me: I would think the Honda hybrid customers are among the most enthusiastic, loyal and involved clients. It does not make sense to treat them like dirt. Eventually they get fed up and start looking at Prius.

The hybrid customers also tend to be a vocal bunch

Old 11-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Well, it's been a month, and my IMA battery seems to be alright. I was worried that they gave me a recycled/old battery (I still wouldn't doubt it) but for this last month it's been fine. I wanted to give it some time (to make sure it worked properly) before I filed all my complaints about Honda Corporate and the dealership. Today I'm filing with the CA Auto Repair Bureau, and the BBB Autoline. I'd probably have more success going to the local news station....

I am sad to hear (and not all together surprised) that this has happened to a bunch of people here. I don't know how Honda got such a great reputation either, but no more Honda's for me or my husband. It's appalling what they tried to pull on some of us, and disheartening to think how many times they've probably already succeeded.

Good luck to all out there with similar issues.

Quick Reply: IMPORTANT INFO! Honda IMA Warranty

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands