Looking to get an 06 HCH!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Active Enthusiast
Thumbs up Looking to get an 06 HCH!

Hi everybody! I've been lurking here for awhile but I think I'm ready to buy before the end of the month.

First a bit of background. I'm 24, single, and currently drive a 2003 Honda Element EX4WD - Auto. I'm also a moderator over at the Element Owner's Club. I can't remember but someone suggested I come to this site for all my HCH research and needs and I must say that I have found this site to be very informative and helpful.

Anyway, I drive about 350 miles a week or so, and with the Element averaging 20mpg in mixed driving (mostly freeway, but as many of you know, LA freeways are fantiastically horrible). I drive alone 90% of the time. My gas bill has been $300+ dollars for the past few months.

Now, I know, based on my own math that the cost of a new car payment (the Element is paid off) won't be offset by the savings of a hybrid (only about $150 savings per month) but who buys a car to save money right? I know buying a hybrid won't really ever "make my money back" withing a reasonable amount of time, which is the first argument many people have against hybrids on other automtive sites I visit.

In any case, I went to a local dealership about a month ago to look at the HCH. They only had 1 in stock (Magnetic Pearl) and the dealer wasn't very helpful. I have been doing all my research and at this point I probably know more about the car than the dealer, but I have a few questions I'd like to ask real owners:

1) At 110hp combined, with a fastest 0 - 60 time of 12.4 seconds, how is it a getting onto the freeway and passing from say 60 - 75?

2) Did anyone here consider an EX non-hybrid 06 Civic? If you have and test drove both, what were some advantages/disadvantages you noticed?

3) The HOV stickers, I understand they are being limited? If I were to purchase an 06 HCH before the end of this month, what are the chances of my obtaining one?

4) Now, my 03 Element was one of the 1st 20,000 Elements off the line, being a new model and all there were certain things that were fixed in later itterations of the Element. Since the 06 Civics are a whole new generation, have there been any TSBs or annoyances that members here have noticed with their HCH's?

5) I'm in the LA area, can anybody recommend a good dealer? In the So. Cal area, what have members been paying? I see on Edmunds.com that invoice for the standard Hybrid is $20,517 and the Hybrid w/Navi is $21,885.

I appreciate the help guys! And hopefully I'll join your ranks soon!

Old 01-02-2006, 03:15 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Looking to get an 06 HCH!

2) Did anyone here consider an EX non-hybrid 06 Civic? If you have and test drove both, what were some advantages/disadvantages you noticed?

I had driven a preproduction hybrid at will in the hills of Arkansas and a Insight along with a Si. I bought a EX Sedan 5MT, w/navi.

The big turn offs for me with hybrid was the CVT tranny ONLY!!! And no rear disk brakes. The hybrid is slower by a long shot. But dont see that as a merge problem on the hwy's or interstates.

The Insight was a 5MT. If it would have had disk brakes on the rear I would have got it. In all honesty I wanted Si. Or a hybrid config'ed to my spec. Dealer wouldnt move off MSRP on the Si, so EX it was.

All the Civics less the Si drive about the same. Si is a barn burner.

The hybrid will do its best to move for you. With passing in the mph area your looking at vtec is there to help along with the electric motor. But at a cost in FE. From what I saw in my test drives. WOT in a hybrid Civic is aken to WTO in any of the Civics. Just less go fast. We also own a 06 Accord EX Sedan, I4, 5AT. The new Civic is on par with that car. Its been upscaled alot.

I didnt think I would by a Sedan and had writen the hybrid off due to the CVT and brakes. Was plesantly suprised when the EX sedan entered my life. IMA, auto off and hybrid a/c compressor would make my car perfect!!! Auto climate controls make me no never mind.

The EX will return good MPG if driven right and show you love at higher rpms. I think EX is a near perfect blend of high possible mpg and the ablity to make life fun if you want a tach stirring event. I see why the HX has been droped.

I still havent rule out a hybrid purchase or a Insight, Si. I just wont pay MSRP for any car and I wont have a CVT or drum brakes. I have my dealers word that if I want to trade my EX in within a year and buy a hybrid or the Si. They will give me a great trade in. Basicly by back numbers.

Either way you go your going to be happy. The Civics are good cars. Go drive them for yourself.

Last edited by psyshack; 01-02-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

--

Last edited by xcel; 12-02-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by Sheniferous
1) At 110hp combined, with a fastest 0 - 60 time of 12.4 seconds, how is it a getting onto the freeway and passing from say 60 - 75?

5) I'm in the LA area, can anybody recommend a good dealer? In the So. Cal area, what have members been paying? I see on Edmunds.com that invoice for the standard Hybrid is $20,517 and the Hybrid w/Navi is $21,885.
Hey, Sheniferous. Welcome

1) I am not sure people here really think about that when driving. Most are really trying to maximize fuel economy. I can tell you from a test drive today that while they are a little peppy, they are not as peppy as say the EX.

2) I considered it but I really wanted some of the extras in the hybrid and I wanted to do my part for pollution. Phoenix just hasn't got a clue yet about controlling pollution. There are some cool features on the EX (e.g., a sunroof) that you can't get on the hybrid but I really wanted to do my part and reward Honda for being so forward thinking.

5) I paid MSRP here in Phoenix. When I was at the dealership today, two other couples where looking at the hybrid. It's hard to deal with them if they are getting 1 or 2 a month there is this sort of demand. However, I've read a couple of threads where guys were getting several hundred dollars off MSRP. I was just looking not to pay for the $1,400 "Arizona Package" when I bought.

Good luck and keep researching.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast

5). Not too far from the LA area is Barber Honda in Bakersfield. Depending on where you are in LA it is about a 1.5 to 2.5 hour trip one way. I bought a '06 Civic Hybrid w/o Navi there today and paid $500 below msrp ($21,900). I got the quote from the internet and dealt with Sam Croft. I am not sure if they are still offering the same deal, but it is worth giving a call or requesting a quote from their website. Good luck

Last edited by RPCV36; 01-02-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the responses so far guys!

I found a local dealer that has one listed for $500 under MSRP. I might try and play the dealer game... you know, getting quotes from a bunch of local dealers, then CC all of them saying so-and-so is offering it for less. I don't know how well it will work on a high-demand car like the Civic though.

I guess I have one more question:

6) For those who financed, what APR have you been getting? What is your monthly payment?

I have excellent credit and have financed through Honda before (for my Element, although I paid it off early). Should I continue and finiance through Honda or try for an auto loan at my local bank?

Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 PM
MEAN TO BE GREEN ACTIVIST

Sheniferous,
I got 5.3% from my credit union. I have very good credit also. I'm hoping that Honda may offer 4.9% for 60 months. I got $900.00 off MSRP with several options priced in also. I've ordered an '06 OSBM from local dealer. They have only had one '06 HCH delivered. My area is not "up on hybrids". It would not hurt to shop around for cars & financing. I believe there is more demand in your area. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I just finished sending out this letter to 30 local dealers in the Los Angeles area. I'll let you guys know what I come up with!

To whom it may concern;

I am currently in the market for a 2006 Civic Hybrid. My purchase time frame will be within the next two weeks. I have a few questions:

1) Do you have the Alabaster Silver Metallic in stock? With and/or without Navi? If not, how long would it take for you to have one delivered?

2) What is the lowest internet price that you can offer for the base Civic Hybrid? What about for the Civic Hybrid w/Navi.

I thank you very much for your time and hope to hear from you soon. The best way to contact me is through email as I do not wish to take calls about the vehicle at this time.

Best Regards,
Edward Shen

Old 01-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow... I have been getting quotes as high as $24,500 for the HCH w/o Navi... I must continue my search!

Old 01-03-2006, 11:04 AM

I just paid 1000 under MSRP in California for no NAV, no extras, no BS fees.

$21,400 (includes the $550 destination charge) + tax and license, and $45 document fee.
$23,414.96 out the door.

I don't think he will match that again but he may come close.
email Keith McCue at Perry Motors in Bishop California

keith@perrymotorsinc.com

It was 350 miles from Los Angeles but worth it - and a beautiful drive up the Owens Valley too.

Last edited by kenny; 01-03-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking to get an 06 HCH!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands