Low beam on 06 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Enthusiast
Question Low beam on 06 HCH

It seems to me the low beams on my 06 HCH are short and low compromising night vision compared to other cars I have recently driven. Anyone else notice this? How hard is it to raise them a degree or two? Highs are great but oncoming traffic certainly lets me know if I forget to switch.

Biglakerider

Old 02-21-2006, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Low beam on 06 HCH

I agree the lows are too low. Just returned from a short road trip to Cailf, from Oregon. Night driving I5 in open/dark flat area was difficult. When I get time I'll visit dealer to find out how to raise lights a bit. Highs on the other hand are just right - no issue.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

I agree my low beams as well seem low , brights seem fine..wonder, if it's even worth bothering the dealer..?

Old 02-21-2006, 05:30 PM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: Low beam on 06 HCH

Hi;

I'll be interested to see if it is a big deal to adjust the low beams? Is anyone else having this same concern with your Low Beams being Low?

Terry

Old 02-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

I haven't driven my '06 and night for an extended period, but they seemed fine to me for halogens. My last 3 of 4 cars I had were equipped with factory xenon headlights, so everything else to me will seem dim.

One thing is that the gauge cluster and nav (if you have it) brightness is distracting...just a thought.

In my '04 I had silverstar bulbs which were brighter/whiter, street legal and the same wattage....it made a big difference. I plan to eventually swap the bulbs in my '06.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

They are definitely not aimed properly (at least mine aren't) from the factory. Regardless of if they are halogen or not, you shouldn't be able to see the cutoff line so easily/so close to the front of the car.

The HID's on my STi have a 4 way adjustable leveling system (so if you tow something you can lower the lights to avoid blinding people), with them on the lowest setting it is comparable to the HCH's...so there is obviously something wrong.

The gauge cluster is on the second lowest setting, so it isn't interior glare, it is the headlights.

This weekend I'm going to find a nice flat area w/ a wall and make an adjustment.

edit- btw, the silverstars are decent providing they are the same wattage as oem...but they aren't cheap. I think a lot of them are a higher wattage than oem, for some makes. They burn brighter, but that generally results in shorter life. Those and Osram makes decent halogen lights. It all comes down to a normal halogen's inefficient design compared to an HID design. I would pay extra for HID's any day, they use less power, last much longer (although bulbs cost more), capable of producing a color temp closer to daylight (4000k-5000k), and overall are a better lighting system.

Last edited by wundej; 02-21-2006 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I am thrilled with the low beams on my 04, the best I've ever had.

Old 02-22-2006, 08:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Don't know about you 06 guys, but for curiosity I popped the hood
and looked at my 05 lights. The low and high beams are integrated together,
raise one, and you will raise the other.

There was what appeared to be a height adjust screw, but no left-right
adjustment was visible, so if the 06 is similar you can probably get a few
degrees upwards without too much trouble.

- Kurt

Old 02-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have adjusted mine! Very easy to do.

All that is required is a long phillips screwdriver.

Pop the hood. There is a hole on each side. Clearly labeled.

I ended up using almost three complete turns of the screwdriver.

Ron in SoCal

Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Owner of '06 HCH #7264

OK, there is one in every crowd and I guess for this topic, I will be the odd one.

I think the lowbeams on my '06 are fine and have no problem seeing the road, but then I have a beautiful wife, so spend more time looking at her then I do the road

Quick Reply: Low beam on 06 HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands