New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 03:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: New Tires = Very, Very Poor Mileage

Originally Posted by shine5555
My tires where bald down the center. The outsides where in great shape. Hope that helps
Sounds like they were over-inflated.

Old 02-18-2007, 11:34 PM
Energy Independence

Originally Posted by noflash
Sounds like they were over-inflated.
That's what I was thinking

Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 AM

What air pressure are you running?

Old 02-19-2007, 01:20 PM
rgx
Active Enthusiast

A 10 mpg difference seems excessive, but I do think rolling resistance can make a big difference especially on a hybrid. According to this report, rolling resistance can differ 30-40 % between brands and types of tires
http://www.greenseal.org/resources/r...resistance.pdf

They say a 10% difference corresponds to about 2% difference in FE, but that's for a normal car. It could be more for a hybrid, at least counting in percent. (And probably less for a 5.7L V8 with carburators, where most of the fuel is spent on just turning the crankshaft around.)

A lot of people also reports low FE with new tires, it could improve after a while.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:41 PM

I got my tires replaced today. At 88,000 miles the OEM were worn down to the top of the tread bar.

I've ran all 4 at 51PSI all that time and in my case have warn evenly across the tires. I've had them rotated every 10,000 miles and an alignment done every 15,000 miles.

I was lucky enought to get the original model: Dunlop SP-20FE and was suprised how smooth the ride was. It was almost like driving through soft sand. I noticed my MPG had dropped as well.

Then I got to work and realized something, and checked- sure enough they're deflated to 33PSI. I had my pump with me and ran them up to 51.

I'll see tonight if I can get the same MPG as the set I just replaced.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM

The smoother ride comment is very common for new tire owners. As tires wear they obviously are losing rubber that insulates you from the road. It's very gradual over 88k miles.

An interesting point that that brings up with FE. You have just added unsprung weight to each wheel and that can definately affect your FE. It's not much weight, but it's unsprung AND you are dealing with rotational inertia with tire weight.

So, even with the tire pressure set correctly, I'll bet you could see a 1 mpg loss, just from the added rubber of the new tires. Of course, you'll gradually gain it back over the next 88k miles.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Noz
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by noflash
Yeah, they are probably not Low-Rolling Resistance tires (LLR). What model are they?

Also, have you checked your tire pressure?
I highly doubt non-LLR tires will reduce mileage that much. I would check to see if any mechanical components are binding since your last visit...the FIRST thing I would check is what the mechanics may have done to your vehicle...no joke.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:19 AM

I'm getting about the same FE with my new tires vs old.

I'm not sure if this angle was covered but Shine5555 if your car needs new tires that early and get that low MPG with new ones, I'd say almost certainly it's a wheel alignment problem.