Potential HCH Owner - Some Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Potential HCH Owner - Some Questions?

Emissions warranties aren't new, and they're VERY specific. For "specialty" warranties, like hybrid component and emissions, manufacturers define them very specifically.

Is the battery listed as one of the PZEV emissions components? I believe it is on the Prius. I considered buying the car in a PZEV state for the warranty, but have enough confidence if it lasts 100K, it'll make it 50K more. (Basically I was too lazy and wanted my car now)

Old 05-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Wannabe Hypermiler

gschoen- The following is quoted verbatim from the Warranty Parts List:
Integrated Motor Assist System (IMA)
Battery Assembly (including all internal components) 8/80 8/80 10/150
If this doesn't mean the full battery, then the factory PZEV warranty is one sick joke.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Wow, this warranty thing is huge! I've got a 2005 HCH and it only come with 3/36 on most of the car but the battery is 8/80.

The PZEV cars in CA, CT, MA, ME, NY and VT come with 15/150 on all listed items EXCEPT the battery which is only 10/150. I guess they only expect the battery to last about 10 years.

BTW they closed the loophole for out of state purchasers by adding that a PZEV must be "registered and normally operated in CA, CT, MA, ME, NY and VT" to qualify. Man the people in those states are getting one heck of a good warranty!

Old 05-07-2005, 06:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

yes, when i bought my hch, the manager of the dealer told me that my battery was insured for 10 years/150,000 miles, and i have the sulev/lev (at-pzev) version

Old 08-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Ron
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wangofree
Nope, we extended the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty, PLUS added to the 80,000 mile hybrid battery warranty.

You basically have 2 warranties. 3yr/36K for the car, 8yr/80k for the hybrid battery system, more or less, although the entire hybrid system isn't covered, so read the fine print.

Our extended warranty covers the "fine print".

Plus it covers breakdown situations. You'll have motel reimbursement if on a trip, usual roadside breakdown response, and rental car reimbursement if your hybrid requires a lengthy stay at the dealer for parts replacement. It always galls me to pay big bucks up front for what we assume is a great product, but, if we ever do need it, we'll be glad we coughed up the cash. If we never use it, that's cool, it's peace of mind.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:05 PM
Ron
Enthusiast

I purchased the extended warranty for 84mo/100,000 miles with $0.00 deductable. I have used such contracts in the past with my cars and believe me some has really paid off! With all this electronic battery stuff on the hybrid, I wasn't taking any chances. As I understand the normal warranty for the battery is 3 years/80,000 but then part of the battery it says is warrantied for 8 years/80,000. Confusing to say the least but then thats why I went with the extended. I even got that 3/45,000 service and tire deal with mine so hopefully I will be covered for awhile!

Old 08-23-2005, 03:36 PM
Ron
Enthusiast

I just bought mine in Palm Harbor Florida and got it for $20,000 out the door. But thats with my trade in which they allowed supposely $2000., over what I owed so I guess 18900 beats what I paid..LOL! From what I have read, sounds like most of the Honda Civics go for about $20,000 plus taxes. The dealers aren't too willing to budge much on these cars.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChesapeakeTechie
I have just started looking into the HCH after driving a 26-MPG car back and forth on my ~100 mile commute every day. I did have a VW Golf Deisel last year that was pretty nice, however I needed to trade it in to make room for my wife's car :-) Also we couldn't stand the smell of the deisel fuel that would linger in the car and the garage.
My local honda dealers have a few HCH MT's in stock that I am going to look at this week, I'm in Maryland. Are there two versions of the 2005 HCH? I've been reading about CA and a couple of other states that get one with a smaller tank and no lean-burn functions. Any way to tell at the dealer?
Pricing so far seems to be decent in this area, with dealers offering around invoice or lower, I'll have to see what options they are adding to the car. Any thoughts on this?
Also, anyone go for an extended warranty and would you mind sharing what you paid? Thanks and looking forward to hearing from everyone!
Two weeks ago I paid $17,800 for my 2004 HCH CVT with 14k miles. It was like new.

If you don't like the smell of diesel fuel, then by all means get biodiese! Go totally no-perto! My truck is a diesel and I wish I could do that but supply is limited here. the only place that sells it is a commercial fuel outfit open 9-5 and located in an industral part of town I never go to. :-(