Snow Tire Season coming (How did the Blizzack REVOs hold up last year?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Snow Tire Season coming (How did the Blizzack REVOs hold up last year?)

i just put dunlop winter sport m3's on my 07 hch. so far, much more quiet then the factory lrr tires, and much more grip on dry and wet pavement. Winter performance, i'll find out. but i live in kansas where we get just enough snow to be a nuisance, but not enough to prevent a premature death to the very soft blizzaks. i hope these m3's are a good compromise for my area... ive never purchased winter tires before, but heard enough bad info about lrr tires in the snow, and work now takes me north enough that i wanted some insurance that i can get home when i need to.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Snow Tire Season coming (How did the Blizzack REVOs hold up last year?)

I don't know about you folks but I am a long time Michelin guy. In other words, I can't say much about competing winter brands and their effectiveness + life.

I just got a tire and wheel package from my dealership for my wife's 2007 HCH similar to what I got last year for my 2006.

Perhaps your winters are a little different from mine, but I find the Michelin X-Ice to have superior grip and good FE in temps all the way down to -40.

The whole setup cost me around $1000 which includes wheel covers, lug nuts and balancing.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 10-30-2007, 10:57 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iridium130m
very soft blizzaks
They feel soft in the showroom, but harden up in cool weather. All tires do this and that's why non-snow tires don't perform as well. They become TOO hard, limiting cold-weather traction.

The Dunlop M3's are a performance-based snow tire. If I remember correctly from my bimmer days. If you wanted ultimate snow tires for best traction you got the Blizzack WS's. If you wanted to maximize your sporty handling and still be able to move forward in the snow you got Blizzack LM's or Dunlop M3's.

FWIW.

Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM

noflash,

can you explain what the REVO offer? Are they better in dry conditions (which is the majority of the time) and then a snow tire? The WS seem to be a dedicated snow tire and are so so in dry conditions.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by livvie
noflash,

can you explain what the REVO offer? Are they better in dry conditions (which is the majority of the time) and then a snow tire? The WS seem to be a dedicated snow tire and are so so in dry conditions.
From my discussions with the Tirerack folks, the REVO was a marketing expiriment that failed.

This is all I know (from a previous post):
The REVOs are a good value and a good tire. Unfortunately, they were a new line and did not please customers as much as hoped.

The REVO's were s'posed to be better in slush than snow. Previous WS owners complained and the REVO's were canceled to be replaced by the latest WS -- the WS-60.

Personally, I have had a few great sets of WS's and slid through stop signs with the REVO's.

I have the new WS-60s at home now and I will have them on one car and the REVOs on the other. We'll have to wait until first snow for a real comparison, but the Tirerack says the WS-60s should be the best Blizzack yet.

I'm sure either would be a great choice, but I'd go with the WS's since the REVOs are being cancelled after one year on the market. They'll be harder to replace as well...

nf