Default Re: Traded in HCH II for Si sedan

Here's a recent review of the Si:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2780

Old 04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Ive been in high horsepower vehicles for the past 10 yrs of driving to include:

2002 Z06 470 hp (12.14@119mph)
1998 Pontiac Firebird 570 hp (11.9@119 mph)
1994 Camaro Z28 300 hp (14.7@94mph)
1999 Suzuki Hayabusa 200hp (9.56@150 mph)

And I can tell you that a twenty mpg hit in fuel economy isnt worth the additional bump in hp from 110 to 200. 26 mpg? Thats not that great, I used to avg 20 mpg in my 5.7 L 2002 Z06 with double the horsepower and triple the displacement when it was stock.

Its either one or the other, power and performance or economy and practicality. No one finds the happy medium, to include Honda with its Si Civic. You wouldve been better off with a 4th generation LS1 powered F-body (1997-2002 Camaro and Trans am) for half the price of your civic you wouldve had a car capable of mid 13's in the quarter mile completely stock with similar fuel efficiency. A car that would run circles around a Civic, even in handling (.90 G). FWD is *** backwards, the last thing I want in the middle of an apex is a handful of understeer. Youre just asking the front tires to do too much, slow the car down, steer the car, and pull the car out of the corner. Not to mention the nose heavy weight bias that comes with a front engine FWD set up, what is it for the civic 65/35 front to rear?

I will be getting a C6 ZO6 when I can afford one for the weekends and track days, and my HCH 2 everywhere else. Now thats having your cake and eating it too.

Last edited by zo6 2 hch; 04-27-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2007, 07:12 AM
G.H. Contributor
Question Re: Traded in HCH II for Si sedan

Originally Posted by exbauer
Thanks for the comment. I was thinking about getting the Habenero Red...but, when I looked at it it was too orange. Then the Rallye Red was too bright and worried about the Honda curse of fading reds. So, I got the Galaxy Grey since that it didn't have the tan interior like the Hybrids come with and looks clean when it is dirty.
Hey when you have the time and can get your but out of the drivers seat long enough, how about some Pics ????

Terry (tiger)

Btw, I know you are having "Fun" with this New-Ride, Right ???

Old 05-01-2007, 11:36 PM
Noz
Active Enthusiast

I looked at a Civic SI but after driving it I decided against it.

The car is far too busy. It's too noisy, the gearing is horrendously short, changing gears is a constant chore compared to other cars which even have 6 speeds. It jus constantly feels on edge even at low speeds.

Overall I was a bit disappointed and even though the car has 200 HP, it's lack of torque really makes a presence at low speeds.

I'd probably would have stuck with a regular Civic particularly after how the dealer continuously tried to hype up how "rare" the SI's are and how their $28K US marked up sticker price was justified....HELL NOOOOOOOO.

Regardless...enjoy your car.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM
HypoFueler

Originally Posted by zo6 2 hch

And I can tell you that a twenty mpg hit in fuel economy isnt worth the additional bump in hp from 110 to 200. 26 mpg? Thats not that great, I used to avg 20 mpg in my 5.7 L 2002 Z06 with double the horsepower and triple the displacement when it was stock.

Its either one or the other, power and performance or economy and practicality. No one finds the happy medium, to include Honda with its Si Civic. You wouldve been better off with a 4th generation LS1 powered F-body (1997-2002 Camaro and Trans am) for half the price of your civic you wouldve had a car capable of mid 13's in the quarter mile completely stock with similar fuel efficiency. A car that would run circles around a Civic, even in handling (.90 G). FWD is *** backwards, the last thing I want in the middle of an apex is a handful of understeer. Youre just asking the front tires to do too much, slow the car down, steer the car, and pull the car out of the corner. Not to mention the nose heavy weight bias that comes with a front engine FWD set up, what is it for the civic 65/35 front to rear?

I will be getting a C6 ZO6 when I can afford one for the weekends and track days, and my HCH 2 everywhere else. Now thats having your cake and eating it too.
Vulcan - great advice for someone who wants what you want.

On the other hand, perhaps he just wanted some more fun (more HP) in a reliable Honda. I bet if he does not drive like a maniac, he will be at 30mpg+.

To each his own - I had to sell my '96 Jeep XJ (guano 18mpg) to fund my HCH 2. The XJ probably would "run circles" around all of the vehicles listed above and my HCH2 - on offroad trails BTW - if the Jeep Patriot CVT ever came out with a hybrid - I would be in line to buy one.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Noz
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spartybrutus
Vulcan - great advice for someone who wants what you want.

On the other hand, perhaps he just wanted some more fun (more HP) in a reliable Honda. I bet if he does not drive like a maniac, he will be at 30mpg+.

To each his own - I had to sell my '96 Jeep XJ (guano 18mpg) to fund my HCH 2. The XJ probably would "run circles" around all of the vehicles listed above and my HCH2 - on offroad trails BTW - if the Jeep Patriot CVT ever came out with a hybrid - I would be in line to buy one.
With the ultra short gearing the Civic SI has, it may be difficult to get such great mileage even if he takes it easy. It's just not geared for it. No doubt it's still far more efficient than other cars, but it may be tricky to get above 30 MPG consistently.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:18 AM
Noz
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zo6 2 hch

What he wants is 4 doors and reliability...both of which none of your cars can offer. I've noticed something regarding your posts...they are all the same. You re-iterate your mighty powerful, super fast cars and your top speeds. Why do you keep doing that? In a hybrid forum of all things.

Also, FWD has its place. In many cases, FWD can and will outperform RWD if the car is set up properly and handles well. I'll take a Renault Clio over any GM product, regardless of speed, any day of the week for fun and chuckability.

The biggest gripe I have about the Civic SI is just that it's too busy of a car for me. This is due to its peakiness. I'd rather have a car that isn't so edgy all the time (for a regular, daily car). Otherwise it's a well thought out, good performing car that offers most people everything they'd ever want PLUS excellent reliability.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks for all the feedback. While reading some posts on www.8thcivic.com some people are able to constantly get in the 30s with the Si. But, I am new to driving a stick since this is my first one. So, I am still learning. I got a great deal on the Si sedan...$19,500 + TTL and they gave me $19,000 for my Hybrid that had 15,000 miles on it. My commute now to work is 0 and if I feel like driving it is 5 miles round trip. It use to be 65 round trip.

I always wanted to get an Si and it was always a 2 door. But, now it is offered in 4 door version and wanted to get driving a stick out of my system. I find it fun to drive and not as relaxing as a automatic during traffic. There are trade offs, but I am fine with that. I honestly didn't look around at other cars with high horsepower. I have been driving Hondas and Acuras all my life and condsider myself brand loyal. I live in Chicago and wanted something that is FWD with the snow and such. It is a great car for the money and the fun factor it has with the high reving engine. There are better choices for more money and worse choices for less. But, dollar value in this market Honda Si sedan is a hands down winner to me that is.

Here are pics with the HFP lowered suspension and 18" HFP wheels: