Upgrading 07 HCH Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 11:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading 07 HCH Audio?

You said you were going to do a full review....I have questions, do you loose the sense of space? does your soundfield colpase to the front of the car? how do they sound with Jazz? I want more bass but I don't want a front seat soundfield so what I guess I am asking is do they still work as speakers with more base or are they bass only?

Old 11-26-2007, 08:19 AM

They are mostly more bass. If you set the fade to the rear, you will notice the speakers will pause on certain notes. I was listening to Bethovan Samphony Number 4 this morning which is filled with great lows and highs and the speakers just filled the car with a more complete sound.

I will try some Jazz today if you like, what style Jazz do you favor? Instrumental or Vocal?

Thanks

Old 11-26-2007, 06:11 PM

Bobs Metallic Pearl,
I tuned to a Jazz station from the trial XM I am still on. The music I was listening to was from Acoustic Alchemy. I was able to hear the highs coming from the front tweeters, the mid-range from the door speakers and the lows from the rear deck. There are instances where certain Jazz music will produce that thump from Hip Hop Music so I needed to turn the volume down to 15 to prevent that. You could probably eliminate that type of sound from coming out if you decrease the high cut which is adjustable from the trunk or decrease the Bass from the head unit.

This setup will not replace an after market system but will allow you to obtain a comfortable level of decent audio reproduction. I know that some people are very picky about their audio so this system is definitely not marketed to them. They will only be happy with an after market system with full component speakers and amplifiers.

I was looking for an after market system originally when I didn't have Bluetooth and an iPod interface. I solved that problem by installing a Blueconnect unit from Johnson Controls and I sold my iPod and purchased a 2GB CF card for my iTunes music. If I went with the after market system, it would have cost me about $4000.00. I wasn't looking to spend that much.

Definitely your mileage will vary. I would ask your local dealership if they have any Civics with this system preinstalled. They might even let you listen to it if there is one in for service with the customer's permission of course

Just in case someone asks, I also listened to Sean Paul and the music wasn't very enjoyable at volume levels higher than 12. Too much thumpy bass.....

Country music wasn't bad either, again avoid any music that overly uses low bass thumps... I found that Classical is really well reproduced on this system that's why certain Jazz sounds okay with it too...

Xmas carols are also very enjoyable

Thanks

Last edited by arbittan; 11-27-2007 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Doberwiler
Folks,

I wanted to add my two cents to this thread -- since I did some speaker work on the ride.

I have the combined NAV setup with XM in my 2007.

I ordered Alpine speakers from Chrutchfield with their kits -- 6.5 fit up front and 5.5 fit in the rear -- they were $99 for the front and $89 for the rear, and the best reviewed ones at Cruthfield. Note that stock speakers are the same front and rear (6.5 inch crappy speakers). I am not sure if 6.5 would fit in the rear -- crutchfield said they wouldn't.

The front ones are easy to install, but you need to pry the front door inside panels off and should use a specific tool for this, or a wedge with some rubber so you don't scratch the door frames.

The Alpine speakers with the provided Alpine "frames" will fit without drilling any new holes in the front if you spend the time to try and align the various holes in the kits using their nuts and bolts. The Cruthfield provided cables will work fine.

The trebble with these front speaks will make the system sound much better, and the bass is more clear -- worth the $99.

I spent a couple of days with the fronts installed and then installed the Alpine rear speakers tonight. The rears are easier to install, but it is not worth it. The Apline 5.5 inch replacements are smaller and have less bass and efficiency. I ended up taking them out and putting the stock ones back in because the stock speakers are larger and have better bass. I am going to return the Alpine rear speakers.

I think the next upgrade would be the Honda bass kit or a subwoofer -- but I am not sure if it is worth the $200-$300.

If you want a cheap upgrade, my advice would be to just replace the fronts -- it's about $100 and well worth it

Dobe
Dobe,

What Alpines did you install up front? Are they efficient, and do you get better sound AND volume?

Thanks...