Upgrading 07 HCH Audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Enthusiast
Question Upgrading 07 HCH Audio?

Hi, although I am very pleased with my new Civic Hybrid, I have to admit, the factory audio sucks. However, I have never installed speakers in a car or anything, and I don't even know where to begin. I want some good bass and just overall better quality for listening to rock music. I don't need that crazy hip-hop style bass that shakes your car, or that people in other cars can hear and feel when you stop at a light though.

So what do I do? Is it even possible to install new rear deck speakers in the Hybrid what with all the battery stuff that is behind the rear seats? Because of the weight, and lack of space for one, I would rather not add a sub - just two speakers with very good bass response. So if anyone knows of good speakers, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks a bunch.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Upgrading 07 HCH Audio?

Go here and check response #272

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/Web...a7247%20stereo

Note that it's for the regular Civic.

Last edited by 46jimbo; 09-09-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Part Time Hybrids

Best Buy offers multiple upgrades to audio including bass and subwoofers. Since they offer install on Civic hybrids I assume they can work around the battery or whatever else is different between yours and a normal civic.

You can find plenty on info and what stores have in stock from bestbuy.com

Old 09-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Active Enthusiast

Bestbuy does a good job of jacking up the price on car audio but they will do installs - ofter for free (but they get you on the "supplies").

Old 09-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

If I put in an aftermarket stereo, will it affect the resale and/or warranty of my car in any way? I want to put in a new dash shell for standard-size radios so I can put in an HD radio head unit such as is available from Crutchfield.

Is the CD/radio unit used for any essential functions such as alarm/keyless entry (I believe this was a trend in some GM cars of recent)

I guess what I'm asking is if I should keep the OEM radio and put it back in when I sell it.

Also I have been wondering about subwoofers in the trunk. If I put something in the trunk, will the bass make it into the cabin? I'm just talking something quite reasonable, a 10" 1 cu. ft. cabinet or similar. I know the rear seat has the battery and/or some electronics, so I don't know if the sound will permeate respectably.

Thanks for the advice. You guys are a gold-mine of info.

--
M

Old 09-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Active Enthusiast

Many people (hybrid owner or not) advocate removing the rear deck speakers so the bass comes into the cabin. Rear speakers can mess up the soundstage anyway, so I've always faded them to 0.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have ordered new speakers for the front and rear. I will be installing them this weekend. I did this in my previous 2006 HCH. It is easy with the instructions and free supplies they give you from Crutchfield. I am putting 6 1/2 in the front doors and 5 1/4 for the rear deck. You just have to drill new mounting holes.

Use promotional code 3A171 at Crutchfield if you spend over $100 for $20 off.

If you replace your deck, just keep the one that comes with the car and then put it back when you trade it in.

I have the dash peice if you are interested. It is the blue one from Honda. This is the one for the blue interior only. PM me if you are interested.

Last edited by exbauer; 09-16-2007 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:02 AM

Just an update...I installed the rear speakers in 30 mins. I used the supplied speaker brackets and wire harness and there was no need to drill new mounting holes or cut any wires. It is a drastic improvement. I will tackle the front door probably this weekend since it requires removing the door skin. But, with the instructions they provided seems simple...I have done this before. The stereo still needs more bass. I am going to have to look into something. I want something small that doesn't take up that much space. Ideas?

Old 09-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Infinity Basslink or some other powered sub. I still don't know if you can hear subs in the trunk through the rear seat. Maybe you could put a basslink on your rear seat?

I'm wary of running my own power cables too in my brand new car. Everything looks so clean and nice I don't want to screw it up!

-
M

Old 09-13-2007, 09:34 AM

I had the basslink in my other vehicles and never really had a problem with not hearing them. But, I want something smaller. I don't need license plate rattling bass. I am thinking about maybe the Kenwood KSC-SW1.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SThqjmN...KSCSW1&g=51000

But, I don't think it will fit under the driver or passenger seat.

Quick Reply: Upgrading 07 HCH Audio?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands