Honda Motor Company/Acura Honda hybrids

2010 Civic Hybrid - need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default 2010 Civic Hybrid - need help

Here’s my situation. Car dies overnight, must be jumped every morning. No lights stay in on the dashboard. Bucks like Bronco trying to drive it down the street. It has an automatic transmission. Yes, I already put new 12V battery in about 2 months ago. I took it to have it scanned even though no lights are on dash and this is what showed up. Any thoughts??

Old 04-11-2023, 10:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 2010 Civic Hybrid - need help

I would question if any of these codes are valid. If they are real, they are likely a symptom of the low 12V.

New 12V doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I've bought new batteries that failed inside 6 months because I didn't test them before installation. I refuse to purchase a battery that's older than 3 month or isn't sitting at at least 12.50V.

Every time you flatten the 12V, you damage it.

Confirm that there is no corrosion on the battery terminals and that they are secure.

Recommend the following two diagnostic efforts:
#1:
Start car
Let it sit at idle for 60 seconds
Report any dash lights that are illuminated.
Turn headlights on.
Turn on interior fan, but do not run A/C or defrost - blower only.
Measure voltage AT the 12V battery terminals.
Have a helper rev and hold engine at 2000-2500rpm
Report both voltages here.

#2:
Recommend you eliminate the possibility of a parasitic drain.
After parking the car for the day, disconnect the 12V battery (-) cable.
Wait 60 minutes.
Measure battery voltage at the battery terminals.
Prior to start in the morning, measure battery voltage at the battery terminals.
Connect (-) cable.
Start car
Allow car to idle for 2 minutes. The computer needs some time to asses the IMA battery. Expect the IMA battery gauge to behave a little abnormally for maybe the first 5-10 minutes.
Report both voltages measured here.

If you're going to skip any steps or not report the requested data, don't bother replying.

Old 04-11-2023, 11:31 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I would question if any of these codes are valid. If they are real, they are likely a symptom of the low 12V.

New 12V doesn't necessarily mean it's good. I've bought new batteries that failed inside 6 months because I didn't test them before installation. I refuse to purchase a battery that's older than 3 month or isn't sitting at at least 12.50V.

Every time you flatten the 12V, you damage it.

Confirm that there is no corrosion on the battery terminals and that they are secure.

Recommend the following two diagnostic efforts:
#1:
Start car
Let it sit at idle for 60 seconds
Report any dash lights that are illuminated.
Turn headlights on.
Turn on interior fan, but do not run A/C or defrost - blower only.
Have a helper rev and hold engine at 2000-2500rpm
Report both voltages here.

#2:
Recommend you eliminate the possibility of a parasitic drain.
After parking the car for the day, disconnect the 12V battery (-) cable.
Wait 60 minutes.
Measure battery voltage at the battery terminals.
Prior to start in the morning, measure battery voltage at the battery terminals.
Connect (-) cable.
Start car
Allow car to idle for 2 minutes. The computer needs some time to asses the IMA battery. Expect the IMA battery gauge to behave a little abnormally for maybe the first 5-10 minutes.
Report both voltages measured here.

If you're going to skip any steps or not report the requested data, don't bother replying.

Geez….you really didn’t have to be that rude about replying. I only joined today to see if anyone is familiar with these codes because I am not and if any of these codes would cause the problems I described I’m having. Unfortunately I am not able to perform the tests myself that you are suggesting. I don’t have the tools or ability to do so or the help. The new battery is fine by the way, that’s not the issue. Thank you for your suggestions and I wish I was able to try them.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa.F
Geez….you really didn’t have to be that rude about replying. I only joined today to see if anyone is familiar with these codes because I am not and if any of these codes would cause the problems I described I’m having. Unfortunately I am not able to perform the tests myself that you are suggesting. I don’t have the tools or ability to do so or the help. The new battery is fine by the way, that’s not the issue. Thank you for your suggestions and I wish I was able to try them.
Rude? Really? Perhaps you've never experienced the frustration of helping people only to have them ignore you, but keep coming back with garbage.

"the new battery is fine" - you have no basis for this claim. By definition a battery that requires jump starting every morning is NOT fine. Again, you probably didn't bother reading, but every time you flatten a battery, you damage it.

If you can't purchase a $10 tool to conduct these diagnostics, or ask a neighbor, friend, coworker to help you, OR devise a way to read the meter from the driver's seat, you shouldn't have bothered posting. You can't help those who refuse to help themselves.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Rude? Really? Perhaps you've never experienced the frustration of helping people only to have them ignore you, but keep coming back with garbage.

"the new battery is fine" - you have no basis for this claim. By definition a battery that requires jump starting every morning is NOT fine. Again, you probably didn't bother reading, but every time you flatten a battery, you damage it.

If you can't purchase a $10 tool to conduct these diagnostics, or ask a neighbor, friend, coworker to help you, OR devise a way to read the meter from the driver's seat, you shouldn't have bothered posting. You can't help those who refuse to help themselves.
I have no problem helping myself. I’m a female attorney, not a mechanic, that is why I asked for help with the codes which you did not provide. I took the vehicle battery back to Honda to have it tested (they even offered me a replacement if I felt more comfortable) and it showed nothing was wrong with the battery. That’s how “I know”. I only use this vehicle to and from courthouses on highways which have an HOV lane. It’s a 2010 with 199k on the clock. I know it could have any number of issues at this point. It owes me nothing and I’ll most likely give it away if someone wants it for free. As far as understanding what it feels like to help people only to have them ignore you? Ha! As an attorney I deal with that type everyday and twice as many who think they know it all like yourself. I also deal with the “my friends cousins ex aunts mother” has a legal question that they want answered for free. So I actually know very well where you are coming from but all you can see is that I’m wasting your time because I can’t go buy a $10 tool. No, I can’t do that. And to have a dealership chase down the problem may cost more than the vehicle is worth at this point. I’ll look for someone in need of a car who has the ability to take the time to diagnose if they want a project and give the car to them. Hopefully someday you need help with something in your life that you don’t know about and you’re spoken to the way you’ve spoken to me, without knowing anything about my situation.

Old 04-11-2023, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa.F
I have no problem helping myself. I’m a female attorney, not a mechanic, that is why I asked for help with the codes which you did not provide. I took the vehicle battery back to Honda to have it tested (they even offered me a replacement if I felt more comfortable) and it showed nothing was wrong with the battery. That’s how “I know”. I only use this vehicle to and from courthouses on highways which have an HOV lane. It’s a 2010 with 199k on the clock. I know it could have any number of issues at this point. It owes me nothing and I’ll most likely give it away if someone wants it for free. As far as understanding what it feels like to help people only to have them ignore you? Ha! As an attorney I deal with that type everyday and twice as many who think they know it all like yourself. I also deal with the “my friends cousins ex aunts mother” has a legal question that they want answered for free. So I actually know very well where you are coming from but all you can see is that I’m wasting your time because I can’t go buy a $10 tool. No, I can’t do that. And to have a dealership chase down the problem may cost more than the vehicle is worth at this point. I’ll look for someone in need of a car who has the ability to take the time to diagnose if they want a project and give the car to them. Hopefully someday you need help with something in your life that you don’t know about and you’re spoken to the way you’ve spoken to me, without knowing anything about my situation.
Ah. Female. That explains it (no, I don't pay attention to usernames). Rather than just see the matter-of-fact nature of my post, you take it personally even though you claim to have a firm foundation of understanding and assign it as "so rude". Not sure that I buy you're an attorney. The attorneys I know tend to be less emotional and more analytical.

No. I'm not a misogynist. I've been married for 24 years to a strong woman, and I have an 18 year old daughter, who doesn't take **** from anybody because that's how she was raised.

As a female, do you truly expect dealerships to treat you fairly let alone ethically? Working in this field, I have dozens and dozens of examples of women being taken advantage of often in the most exploitive way. You should take the dealer up on their offer.

You asked for help on an Internet forum.
You provided no diagnostically useful data besides, "needs to be jump started every morning."
I gave you a list of steps go gather needed data to diagnose the issue.
I indicated that if you're not willing to provide the necessary information for the diagnostics, don't bother responding.

You're not willing to provide enough information to diagnose the issue over the Internet. You've wasted your time and my time. You shouldn't have posted, let alone responded.

Take it to the dealership and let them deal with it since you're unable/unwilling.

Old 04-11-2023, 07:51 PM
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=S Keith;276931]Ah. Female. That explains it (no, I don't pay attention to usernames). Rather than just see the matter-of-fact nature of my post, you take it personally even though you claim to have a firm foundation of understanding and assign it as "so rude". Not sure that I buy you're an attorney. The attorneys I know tend to be less emotional and more analytical.

No. I'm not a misogynist. I've been married for 24 years to a strong woman, and I have an 18 year old daughter, who doesn't take **** from anybody because that's how she was raised.

As a female, do you truly expect dealerships to treat you fairly let alone ethically? Working in this field, I have dozens and dozens of examples of women being taken advantage of often in the most exploitive way. You should take the dealer up on their offer.

You asked for help on an Internet forum.
You provided no diagnostically useful data besides, "needs to be jump started every morning."
I gave you a list of steps go gather needed data to diagnose the issue.
I indicated that if you're not willing to provide the necessary information for the diagnostics, don't bother responding.

You're not willing to provide enough information to diagnose the issue over the Internet. You've wasted your time and my time. You shouldn't have posted, let alone responded.

Take it to the dealership and let them deal with it since you're unable/unwilling.[/QUOT

i really couldn’t care less that you don’t believe that I’m an attorney. I have nothing to prove to you. There’s more than one type of attorney and we don’t all think and communicate in the same fashion. I did provide information that went beyond saying only that “It doesn’t start”. I expected to find friendlier people willing to give their opinions on the codes because that was what I asked for. I didn’t ask for a step by step tutorial on how to diagnose it myself. I was hoping to find friendly people who would offer a kind word of advice. I guess it makes you feel good to keep insulting me. It takes such a tough guy to try and belittle a woman “just because” instead of having a kind word of advice. Just remember, if you actually have a wife and a daughter, I doubt you’d want anyone speaking to them the way you have to me. I”m someone’s wife and daughter too. Again, I was not looking for definitive diagnosis over the internet, I’m not unrealistic, and I’m not going to spend more money at Honda than the car is worth just because I can afford to. I was simply looking for a response or two from someone nice enough to say “hey I had a similar issue and it was blah blah blah”. Im sure you’re a very good mechanic, I’m sorry you feel I’ve wasted your time.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:47 PM

Wife and daughter are rational and not prone to taking things personally. Nor do they work to make a sleight out of a simple statement.

Don't apologize. You don't mean it.

Funny thing is... a $10 voltmeter and 10 minutes of effort would go a long way towards a definitive diagnosis. Pretty sure you've invested something comparable in your three replies.