Introductions Electric Vehicle Forums welcomes you to the community. Please, tell us about yourself!

Just registered a 98 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 02:06 PM
Enthusiast
Default Just registered a 98 Camry

Hello all,

I've been reading for some time on this site, but only until recently did I get a car. It is a 1998 Camry LE 4cyl AT (named "Purple Thunder" in the database) that I bought from my parents, so they could put a down payment on a 2005 Toyota Sienna. I was just wondering: how many of the fuel efficiency tips for the various hybrids apply to a non-hybrid vehicle, like mine. Or are there any good articles that you guys would recommend? I commute, 12 miles each way, to UCR (University of California of Riverside) everyday mostly on the freeway.

Thanks,

Gabriel Murillo

Old 01-28-2005, 02:37 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gmuri002
Hello all,

I've been reading for some time on this site, but only until recently did I get a car. It is a 1998 Camry LE 4cyl AT (named "Purple Thunder" in the database) that I bought from my parents, so they could put a down payment on a 2005 Toyota Sienna. I was just wondering: how many of the fuel efficiency tips for the various hybrids apply to a non-hybrid vehicle, like mine. Or are there any good articles that you guys would recommend? I commute, 12 miles each way, to UCR (University of California of Riverside) everyday mostly on the freeway.
You'll see a lot of comments about raising the air pressure in your tires. Raising your pressure might increase your economy a little. But think of any improvement in terms of percentage effect. So, if increasing tire air pressure increases economy 5% on a hybrid, then you can probably expect the same effect on a regular vehicle. However, the impact of that percentage increase will be less than on the hybrid. So, if the hybrid is getting 40 mpg and you increase fuel economy 5%, that means your new economy will be 42mpg. That is pretty significant.

But if you are driving a 25mpg Camry and get the same 5% then you will be getting 26.25 mpg for that increase. Somewhat negligible, but not totally without impact.

Using a quality synthetic blend or even full synthetic might be helpful for any internal engine friction based economy losses, but again, the benefit will be negligible. In that instance you will help maintain good engine performance and longevity by using synthetic or synthetic blend.

Throttle technique changes might be helpful, but feathering the throttle, as Prius drivers explain it, will not really work for you because feathering the throttle is a technique used to get the car to go electric on you while cruising. I don’t' see how it will help you any with a regular vehicle. Just avoid jackrabbit starts and ease into any acceleration if you can. That is just common sense.

Old 01-28-2005, 02:43 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Gmuri02:

___Most of the techniques can and should be used in your non-hybrid just as we use them in hybrids. Autostop/EV modes not withstanding in some regards. The Hybrid’s when pushed will produce some truly fantastic FE numbers unlike their non-hybrid counterparts but imho, the non-hybrid’s are actually easier to hypermiler albeit without a game gauge in most instances if that helps.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes