Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

With friends like this, who needs enemies

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Engineering first
Default With friends like this, who needs enemies

http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2588

2007 New York Auto Show: Anti-Toyota Activists arrested
. . .
Freedom from Oil activists at the New York Auto Show unfurled a dramatic 20-foot banner inside the front entrance to the Javits Convention Center challenging Toyota to become a true environmental leader. The banner subverts Toyota’s current Tundra advertising blitz with a picture of the truck driving over a globe with the tagline, “Toyota: The Truck That’s Changing the Climate.” . . .
No doubt we're going to hear more about this from hybrid skeptics. The simple answer is, "I drive a <whatever>. So?"

Bob Wilson

Old 04-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: With friends like this, who needs enemies

Originally Posted by bwilson4web
No doubt we're going to hear more about this from hybrid skeptics.
Good find, and an interesting read, Bob. However, I don't think there will be too many hybrid-haters out there clinging onto this story. Those activists are entirely against 'Yota, not just the Tundra.

Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by snowdog650
Good find, and an interesting read, Bob. However, I don't think there will be too many hybrid-haters out there clinging onto this story. Those activists are entirely against 'Yota, not just the Tundra.

Well, (I'm putting my flame suit on... BTW, this is my first time preping for a flame fest )

Let me first create a context:

At one point, I felt disappointed with Honda because they eventually decided to introduce their first V6 powerplant in north america (1986). That was not only a challenge for folks like myself, but it was also a matter of much debate and controversy within Honda at the time. Soichiro Honda totally hated the idea, BTW.

Then, they somehow decided to get into the truck business. That was yet another blow to those who valued Honda's legendary engineering and philosophy.

After that, there were quite a few other lapses since then that got many of us wondering what's next... At least they are resisting puting out a V8. I personally hope they never do.

Now, that is a perspective of how much "it hurts" some of us when a traditionally "green" auto maker is seduced by certain options that violate its own core phylosophies.

I am not aware if at Toyota, there was ever a drive towards efficiency to the entent of paralleling Honda's "fanaticism". Nevertheless, I always regarded Toyota as a company who could sell me a car, someday. And they sure did. The Prius is a good example of that and I love it.

However, I am not happy with the latest Tundra at all... and mostly because I apply the same criteria I use chastise Honda for its own "mistakes". I feel that there is absolutely no need for a product like the latest Tundra - particularly in a truck saturated market.
Such a product appears to erode the image that led me to Toyota in the first place. Now, could there be other people who feel the same? Would they be called crazy to have a different opinion and be passionate about it?

Anyway...

Fortunately or not, I see no difference between a "picture of rivals" showing a Prius on one side and a Hummer in the other; versus another picture showing the same Prius contrasted to the latest Tundra. Sorry.

My problem is that this is an undeniable conflict that can only be suppressed if my allegiance for Toyota is blind and unwavering. Since I refuse to display any blind fanaticism for any one company (even Honda), I will only assume I am more susceptibe to disapointment and outrage when I see certain things.

In my view, as a product, this Tundra marketing effort is a conflicting and controversial message for the times we live in.

Now, I'm am not saying I don't see a need for trucks. They sure are needed. My problem is that a great deal of the audience for these types of vehicles goes well beyond that of the commercial, farming and industrial sectors. And that worries me greatly; enough to regard this latest Toyota product the way I do.

Sorry, this type of a product choice makes it hard for some folks to see any green in Toyota. And that membership with the Auto Alliance is yet another disapointment from I stand at least.

Now, let the flames begin...

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 04-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

As I've always felt, Toyota will gladly step in and replace the GM/FORD/DODGE full size truck as they realize that the market is just too great to pass up on. They just need to finally convince the stubborn truck buyers they have been getting junk from the US in everyway including at the dragstrip.

Just saw the latest Tundra ad with a claim of 6.11 sec 0 to 60. With a drag race between it and 4 competitors with the Tundra winning.

That beats most stock GTOs from the good old 1960s.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:09 AM
Energy Independence!

"makes it hard for some folks to see any green in Toyota. "

Yes there is green in Toyota..... Dollar-Bill green, that is.

The difference between Toyota and Detroit's three is that Toyota actually makes a very credible and extense line of small, economical vehicles.