Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Green Hummer -- at last!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Engineering first
Default Green Hummer -- at last!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/13/au...=1&oref=slogin

DETROIT, May 12 — General Motors is preparing to give a final salute to the hulking Hummer H1, the ultimate in sport utility might and, to its many critics, the ultimate in environmental incorrectness.

G.M. said Friday that it expected to stop building the H1, flagship of its Hummer line, next month. The move comes 14 years after it first went on sale to the public.
Automotive fertilizer ...

I wonder what CNW Marketing is going to do ... NOT!

NOTE: I didn't realize this was a 2006 article. However, now it makes sense why CNW Marketing would publish their "Dust-to-Dust" report in 2006. Someone in GM was trying to 'save the Hummer' and everything else failing, trying to build it on the body of potential Prius owners was their answer.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 06-05-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor
Default Re: Green Hummer -- at last!

Personally, I would mind seeing all three Hummers crushed and recycled into fuel-efficient compact sedans, heh heh. Ditto for the Caddilac Escalade and the ford Expidition.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Umm.... that story is over two years old.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 AM
Engineering first
Red face Re: Green Hummer -- at last!

Opps!!

I was using a Google listing of news articles and sorted by date and thought it was more recent. Now I see the by-line. ....

Bob Wilson

Old 06-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

I only know because I love the H1 and wish the H2 would drop off the face of the planet.

The H1 was a tool. Not very comfy or luxurious on the inside and built on a unique platform with some interesting off-road technology.

The H2 is a fricking Suburban/Yukon that is even less aerodynamic and heavier. All show and no go.

The H3 is just silly. It offers nothing except the brand name.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wonder who the potential buyers of Hummer would be.

The Saudis perhaps? Maybe the Russian Mafia.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

You mean, who bought the original Hummers and H1s? My understanding was that they went to rich folks with a penchant for picturing themselves as rugged outdoors men. Arnold being the prime example.

Anyone needing a Torsen differential also needs a Hummer, but how many people do that kind of rock crawling?

Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cbibbs
You mean, who bought the original Hummers and H1s? My understanding was that they went to rich folks with a penchant for picturing themselves as rugged outdoors men. Arnold being the prime example.
No, sorry, my bad.

I meant who might be the potential buyers of the Hummer line, if GM sold it.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:17 AM
MPG FANATIC WITH GUZZLERS

The original Hummer was a military go on unimproved crummy roads vehicle.It might still have some utility to extreme outdoor use, but it is tought to see it as a work vehicle.Folks who actually work on off crummy mud/dirt roads always buy pickups for the carry capacity of the bed.

Not too many buyers left for the Hummer or its iterations. Like cbibbs implied-they are inferior Suburbans.Used Suburbans are dirt cheap now,and better than the HUM vehicles.

There might be some buyers-non military -out there, but not 10,000 a year-maybe a few hundred? Even loggers(disc channel) and ice road types use pickups-not Hums.No one involved in making money in crummy places on crummy "roads" seems to buy them for work-guess that says it all.
Charlie
PS-Not saying Oregon or Alaska,Canada are crummy; I mean crummy "roads" in inhospitable places.

Old 06-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Engineering first

I figured hummer civilian sales were for "dress up" and not in admiration. A former Marine, I don't have much patience for 'chicken hawks' and my first thought when meeting one is ("Will there ever be a chicken hawk season?")

Bob Wilson

Quick Reply: Green Hummer -- at last!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands