Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Hybrid Vehicle Owners are . . .

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 01:48 AM
Engineering first
Default Hybrid Vehicle Owners are . . .

http://www.scarborough.com/

NEW YORK (December 4, 2007) – Democratic, wealthy, educated and active are four adjectives that describe today’s hybrid vehicle owner, according to a recent analysis from Scarborough Research, a consumer and media research firm. Scarborough’s analysis finds that almost half (42 percent) of the households in the U.S. that own or lease at least one hybrid vehicle have an annual income of $100,000 or more. That is more than twice the national average. The adults who live in these households, “Hybrid Owners,” are more than twice as likely as all U.S. adults to have a college degree. This includes the twenty-seven percent of Hybrid Owners who have a post graduate degree, compared to nine percent of adults overall. Hybrid Owners skew older than average, and are 23 percent more likely than average to be aged 50+. . . .
Ok, 3 out 4 ain't bad. <GROAN> now I suppose we'll have to put up polls to find out.

Bob Wilson

Old 12-06-2007, 05:19 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid Vehicle Owners are . . .

Apparently hybrid owners as a whole are NOT normal people? I don't buy it.

Personally I don't meet any of those statistics. I wonder if the same author wrote the hybrid "Smug" article a couple years back?

-Steve

Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 AM
Engineering first

Originally Posted by Hot_Georgia_2004
Apparently hybrid owners as a whole are NOT normal people? I don't buy it.

Personally I don't meet any of those statistics. I wonder if the same author wrote the hybrid "Smug" article a couple years back?
It is hard to say. Their web site has another free download report, "Scarborough RAB Automotice Study" that looks at car brands versus the demographics of the buyers for: Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, and Lexus. Now we know Dodge = Chrysler = Jeep and Toyota = Lexus but these are different brands within a larger company. Still, the numbers from the "RAB" report seem credible and suggests they aren't just polling Berkley, Boston. Houston and Birmingham.

The full report "hybrids are for Democrats" may have the survey information about population size and methodology but I'm not curious enough to pay for it. Still, I suspect we'll soon see it echoed in various publications since their web page indicates they sell their service to news media and it came out Dec. 4.

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 12-06-2007 at 06:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 PM
Energy Independence

Well, I'm 1 (maybe 2) of those 4.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC

4 o/o 4. But I know where the results came from. Scarborough sent me 1150 questionaires.

j/k

Old 12-09-2007, 05:13 PM
Hybrid True Believer

I'm surprised this article didn't add "gay" to the list of "rich, liberal, and tree-hugger". In my neighborhood, all of the hybrids (including my own) seem to have the rainbow stripe bumper sticker.

I'm liberal and I've got a college degree, but I'm far from wealthy.

Old 12-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Engineering first

Don't forget,"the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Bob Wilson

Old 12-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm 4 o/o 4 as well, but don't have a Prius.

Old 12-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Hybrid and Ethanol Expert

Isn't it redundant to say "college grad" and "hybrid owner" in the same sentence... I mean, if you can't afford one, you can't afford the other!
It's not always by "choice".

( I was just thinking the phrase " isn't it " sounds normal, but saying " Is not it " sounds really wierd. Sorry, not enough sleep! )