Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Minn. professor works on hybrid hydraulic project

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 06:07 AM
Engineering first
Default Minn. professor works on hybrid hydraulic project

http://www.startribune.com/local/356...D3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

MINNEAPOLIS - University of Minnesota researchers are working on an alternative to the electric hybrid vehicle.

Hybrid hydraulic vehicles have recently been built as the new model for large vehicles that start and stop frequently, such as delivery trucks.

But mechanical engineering professor Kim Stelson says he hopes to develop hydraulic technology for small passenger cars.
. . .
I think this is an unexplored area that holds a lot of promise. My problem with the 'idle-stop' hybrids is they don't handle what are called 'inertial losses' of coming to a stop and resuming speed. These are relatively brief events of finite energy that can be handled by hydraulic systems very nicely.

Recently I was discussing with a UK HCH team about rally work. One problem is the IMA has limited power since it looks to be designed to optimize engine performance. However, a parallel, hydraulic system opens up how much energy can be absorbed and fed back for speed and rear-wheel traction. IMHO, this opens up the performance window significantly although I don't want to trivialize the control law challenges.

Bob Wilson