Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Prius driving CHI to NYC

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Engineering first
Talking Prius driving CHI to NYC

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4107075.shtml

(CBS) The highest average gas price in the land happens to be in Chicago at the moment -- $4.07 a gallon.

And that's the city from which The Early Show dispatched two drivers on a trip to New York -- contributor Benno Schmidt and Wayne Gerdes of CleanMPG.comCleanMPG.com.

Gerdes champions "hypermiling," which he says can as much as double your gas mileage.
I found the lead to this story over at PriusChat.

Bob Wilson

Old 05-19-2008, 01:26 PM
HypoFueler
Default Re: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Its really a great opportunity to get the word out about FE tips - to a BIG audience. After I posted on CMPG the server got busy - so apparently lots are checking it out now...

I hope Wayne makes it on one tank.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Driving in stealth mode

It's back up. They said they are having record viewings on the site. That's awsome how good he is doing.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Watching this situation develop from southwest China - what time is it in NYC anyway?

The cleanmpg messages suggest that Wayne will make CHI->NYC with fuel to spare. The reporter in the other car had to refill at least once - not clear to me yet if there was a second refueling.

If I received CBS TV, I'd have it on right now. If they happen to run SUV, etc. commercials during the coverage, somebody is going to be pissed

DAS

Old 05-19-2008, 09:09 PM
Eco Accelerometrist

Totally agree !!!

I suspect Wayne has been running the Prius in Super Highway Mode and if that is the case then this is a good opportunity for the Prius II to show its highway stuff.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 05-20-2008, 08:01 AM
my other car is a FJORD

of course, he made it! with 2 gallons to spare

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4107075.shtml

fantastic drive. even the reporters seem impressed.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Engineering first

Reported:

800 miles - distance

Reporter:
14 hrs -> ~57 mph block speed?
45 MPG -> 17.8 gallons

Gertes:
17 hrs -> ~47 mph block speed?
71 MPG -> 11.3 gallons

Wayne's data suggests: 71/60 -> ~118% ... 20% better over steady speed
Reporter's data suggests: 45/50 -> ~90% ... 10% worse than steady speed
Relative performance: 71/45 -> ~158% ... 58% improved performance

I'm not sure I'd call that a doubling but for TV, it is close enough.

Well done,
Bob Wilson

Old 05-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Active Enthusiast
Post Re: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Interesting reporting about hypermiling.

Trying to get Hypermiling into the mainstream and accepted is a good thing. But the editing of the report still paints Hypermilers as a "fringe group of drivers".

Case in point - did they have to show Wayne drafting the semi tractor trailer? A great many of us do not endorse that type of driving and try hard to dispatch the myth that all hypermilers draft dangerously. (I would hope that he did that for only a small portion of the trip.)

In addition, did CBS have to make a point and show a school bus passing Wayne?

For the regular viewer - their immediate reaction is that he is driving way too slow.

There is no arguing that Wayne does a great job with his techniques.

My personal style is more of going with the flow and not being singled out as the slow car in the right lane.

I am a Hypermiler who looks like a regular driver.

Last edited by HybridVue; 05-20-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 AM
my other car is a FJORD

not quite double, but to correct your chart, according to wayne he used 8.9 gallons. saying less than 11.3 isn't quite the same. so he's about half of what the reporter used as far as consumption.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 AM
my other car is a FJORD

Originally Posted by HybridVue
Interesting reporting about hypermiling.

Trying to get Hypermiling into the mainstream and accepted is a good thing. But the editing of the report still paints Hypermilers as a "fringe group of drivers".

Case in point - did they have to show Wayne drafting the semi tractor trailer? A great many of us do not endorse that type of driving and try hard to dispatch the myth that all hypermilers draft dangerously. (I would hope that he did that for only a small portion of the trip.)

In addition, did CBS have to make a point and show a school bus passing Wayne?

For the regular viewer - they immediate reaction is that he is driving way too slow.

There is no arguing that Wayne does a great job with his techniques.

My personal style is more of going with the flow and not being singled out as the slow car in the right lane.

I am a Hypermiler who looks like a regular driver.
showing what appears to be drafting on a semi was unfortunate on their part, though at least they didn't dwell on it. the traffic looked to be quite crowded at the time, and there was no indication of speed being driven.

as for the school bus, please don't consider them to be a paragon of virtue. last winter, the morning after one of our spring snowstorms, when the roads were still packed and slippery, i was passed by a school bus, in a no passing zone on a 2 lane road, at a speed that was not safe for the conditions.....again, the viewer no idea how fast either of them were going.

perhaps the time has come for the "regular driver" to realize that it's time to slow down, before economic circumstances forces that choice upon him.

and again, look at the cost savings.......assuming the 4.07 cost of gas when they left chicago, the reporter spent just over $80 on fuel, wayne spent $36.

Quick Reply: Prius driving CHI to NYC

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands