Journalism & The Media Television, radio, movies, newspapers, magazines, the Internet and more.

Waiting List Gone, Incentives Are Coming for Prius

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 PM
Engineering first
Wink Waiting List Gone, Incentives Are Coming for Prius

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/au...ss&oref=slogin

Originally Posted by Micheline_Maynard
. . .
So, in April, Toyota will begin its first national advertising campaign for Prius since it began selling the hybrid in the United States in 2000. Ads will begin appearing in local markets before then.

Toyota has also started offering the first incentives on the Prius, including some no-interest financing, and lease deals of as little as $219 a month.

The moves by Toyota come amid flat sales last year for Prius, whose first six years in the American market were a carmaker’s dream. Dealers had waiting lists of as long as a year for Prius, which runs on a combination of an electric motor and a gasoline engine. Buyers routinely paid several thousand dollars more than the $22,175 sticker price.
. . .
This has been a long time coming and I don't mind it one bit. I never bought my 03 Prius for resale (never bought any car for resale.) So seeing the price come down a bit sure helps.

The article goes on to discuss the changed EPA numbers as impacting the perception ". . . that they will not save enough on gasoline purchases to make a Prius worthwhile." When there was a hybrid premium, this was a concern. But with the hybrid premium disappearing, this motivator will go away too and the creature comforts built-in to the vehicle will begin to dominate in a way that non-hybrids can not follow.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Waiting List Gone, Incentives Are Coming for Prius

EPA numbers will be decreasing for all vehicles, not just hybrids. The MPG advantage is still there. And as the GH database shows, conservative drivers can beat even the current numbers.

The #1 factor in hybrid sales is and always will be the price of gas. Interest in hybrids goes up and down in tandem with gas price. When gas approaches (or exceeds) $3 again, these new incentives vanish and the waiting lists return, those who bought hybrids now will be very happy.

Old 02-13-2007, 08:44 AM

Did you see the ABC News article on TV?

It was hyped as some sort of "See, hybrids are no good, no one is buying them, feel good about your SUV..." story, just because there are Prii lined up on dealers' lots these days.

I don't recall a similar ABC News article showing SUV's and monster trucks lined up on dealers' lots, which is true on any dealer's lot anywhere, and has been for years.

Go figure.

Who said the media puts spin on things...

Harry

Old 02-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Banned

Anyone want to guess the price of oil if one of the two carriers off Iran strike? $80? $100?

I hope it does not come to that, but there are several such short-term possibilities.

In the long term, consumption from nations like China and India will give no slack (i.e. Peak Oil).

Old 02-13-2007, 09:51 AM
Engineering first
Wink Re: Waiting List Gone, Incentives Are Coming for Prius

Originally Posted by Earthling
Did you see the ABC News article on TV?

It was hyped as some sort of "See, hybrids are no good, no one is buying them, feel good about your SUV..." story, just because there are Prii lined up on dealers' lots these days.
. . .
I tried to find the video but only found the article:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/WNT/s...2869432&page=1

The only part that sounds slightly biased was Jesse Toprak of Edmunds.com:

". . .
"You might as well just get a four-cylinder regular car for $16,000 or $17,000 and get very similar gas mileage to those hybrids without having to pay the premium price," said Toprak.
. . ."

There was some FUD (Fear Uncertainty and Doubt) but not so much that I'd call it 'over the top.' Just Toprak needs to be challenged to enter one of the mileage contests. . . .

As for the video, I can't seem to play ABC videos from their web site. All I get are their commercials.

Bob Wilson

Old 02-13-2007, 11:04 AM

Bob,

The news story in itself wasn't too objectionable. It was the hype that preceded the story, where it was implied that Toyota's Prius is a failed experiment, with an abundance of Prii languishing on lots around the country.

And the statement: ""You might as well just get a four-cylinder regular car for $16,000 or $17,000 and get very similar gas mileage to those hybrids without having to pay the premium price," said Toprak." is misleading.

By my arithmetic, the difference between 40 mpg and 50 mpg is 25 percent, which is an enormous amount. Besides that, those numbers are strictly highway mpg's. A Prius gets 48-50 mpg day in and day out (in milder weather) whereas the "40 mpg" cheaper cars will get maybe 35 mpg day in and day out, taking into account all driving and not just highway mileage.

Harry

Old 02-13-2007, 11:13 AM

Well, actually some of the article is bad:

"The (new) EPA figures are designed to better reflect driving habits of motorists. Bad news for Prius and the hybrid fleet as a whole."

Is that spin, or what? All EPA figures would go down, for all vehicles, so why would hybrids suffer? As the Toyota guy pointed out, the Prius will still get just as good fuel economy even after the EPA does their thing.

And this is one reason I objected to changing the EPA numbers. Whose idea was that, GM?

Also, the new EPA method will now put EPA mileage figures on SUV's and pickups, right? We'll see what kind of spin we get from ABC News as to actual SUV and monster truck fuel economy, when that happens.

Harry

Old 02-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Banned

As far as hybrids taking a bigger hit - I thinks these reporter's math is even worse than mine.

Lets say the average "hit" on fuel economy is %15:
- for a 60mpg car it's a 9mpg hit (such as a Prius)
- for a 18mpg vehicle it's 2.7mpg hit (such as an H3)

The EPA needs to stress average consumption annually - say gallons per 15,000 miles a year. Looking at the EPA that way in my example above, it's the H3 that looks really bad - and it's more real world.

Old 02-14-2007, 04:44 AM
Engineering first

Hi,
Originally Posted by Earthling
Well, actually some of the article is bad:

"The (new) EPA figures are designed to better reflect driving habits of motorists. Bad news for Prius and the hybrid fleet as a whole."

Is that spin, or what? All EPA figures would go down, for all vehicles, so why would hybrids suffer? As the Toyota guy pointed out, the Prius will still get just as good fuel economy even after the EPA does their thing.

And this is one reason I objected to changing the EPA numbers. Whose idea was that, GM?

Also, the new EPA method will now put EPA mileage figures on SUV's and pickups, right? We'll see what kind of spin we get from ABC News as to actual SUV and monster truck fuel economy, when that happens.
. . .
I expect the EPA testing change to be a transient effect with more speculation than heat. BTW, the best answer to FUD is facts and data:

Originally Posted by USENET_mrv@kludge.net
Toyota Motor Sales (TMS), U.S.A., Inc. Retail Sales (includes fleet and Hawaii) of Prius:

mon yr sales cYTD
Jan 07 8,299 8,299

Total units of Prius sold in the US, from launch through Dec 06: 335,562

mon yr sales cYTD
Dec 06 9,291 106,971
Nov 06 8,008 97,680
Oct 06 8,733 89,672
Sep 06 10,492 80,939
Aug 06 11,177 70,447
Jul 06 11,114 59,270
Jun 06 9,696 48,156
May 06 8,103 38,460
Apr 06 8,234 30,357
Mar 06 7,922 22,123
Feb 06 6,547 14,201
Jan 06 7,654 7,654
What I'm looking forward to are the hybrid specific commercials. Talk about an easy job:
"We are filling both Camry's, one a hybrid, with one gallon of gas and putting them on the same track at the same speeds including some stop lights. While they are doing laps, let's look at what both Camrys have inside . . ."

[Cover the driver and passenger creature comforts.]

"Back at the track, the regular Camry ran XX miles and the hybrid Camry YY miles." [flash to EPA numbers spoken in rapid voice like the prescription voice-overs and use RxObscura font for disclaimers.]
Another commercial:
An attractive woman with small kids, late at night, sees her gas gauge showing nearly "E". She pulls up to a service station populated by scary looking, seedy characters, frowns and drives on.

"She is driving a hybrid . . ."
Final commercial:
A family on vacation when the driver notices the gas gauge and says, "Humm, we're getting a little low. I'll pull off for a fill-up."

The first gas station in Las Vegas glitz called, "Pawn and gas" has a row of huge vehicles listed "For Sale" on the side. Also, a discount pile of "car top" stuff.

The driver shakes their head and says, "We can do better" and drives on to "Thrifty Gas", a clean, utilitarian station, very green with lots of plants.
What has happened is Toyota has more Prius inventory but the number of 'on lot days' is still substantially lower than their competition. Instead of having to take whatever is available, we'll have options, a good thing!

Bob Wilson

Last edited by bwilson4web; 02-14-2007 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM
Energy Independence!

Bob;
are you in marketing, by any chance?
Because your commercial ideas are pure genius!

BTW, I read somewhere that one of the top superbowl commercials (Doritos?) came from a contest posted on YouTube.

Quick Reply: Waiting List Gone, Incentives Are Coming for Prius

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands