Guilt vs. Lexus RX400h

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:47 AM
no more oil
Default Re: Guilt vs. Lexus RX400h

chilly

I completely agree with you of course. But i am totally biased. Lol.....

Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

Gerard,

Don't buy into all this guilt baloney. If you've got the money and the additional luxury amenities are valued to you more than the 3rd row seat option and a bigger cargo volume (i.e. comparing the Lexus 400h and HiHy), then go for it! Good for you. If people whine... let them. Let's face it; they're just jealous...

Frankly, I don't believe a "one-size-fits-all" mentality is reasonable nor desired when it comes to hybrids. The more diversity the car manufacturers can offer with hybrids, the more different types of folks are interested and buy hybrids, the better off everyone will be. Why? Because it encourages the car manufacturers to make further investments in this technology, which ultimately results in further improvements in fuel economy, more power, lower costs and prices... and after all that, the environment is better off!

Is someone considering by a SUV hybrid going to consider buying a Prius? Huh? No way. Apples and oranges. Completely different needs and desires and values. If everyone started buying SUV hybrids (even the V8 Tahoe hybrid), imagine how much better off the environment would be. A 30% FE bump and lower emissions is a win-win for everyone.

Go with your heart so that everytime you step in your vehicle you're going to feel good. You can't compromise on that. You'll be a happy driver => safer driver => your driving neighbors will appreciate it. Life's short. Enjoy it!

Sometimes when I look at the FE numbers for the FEH and get a tinge of envy... but, then I step into my vehicle, step on the accelerator and zoom. Am I going to give that up? No way man. Gotta have it. Similarly, I've seen the nicer amenities in the Lexus 400h, and again, a little tinge of envy crops in. But, then I look at my pocketbook and the extra practical stuff (no luxury tax, lower insurance, 3rd row seat, bigger cargo)... and I feel good again. But, that's just me. Everyone's got to make the choice that gives them the most satisfaction. Everytime I step into my HiHy, I just love it. The quietness, the acceleration... pure joy. If a nicer interior, nicer nav system, nicer sound system and bluetooth/satellite radio integration is what you value most and cost is a non-issue... look's like you have a winner!

-Han-

Old 06-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Enthusiast

Han,

Very nice reply, primarily because you transmit many of the things that make up the "love of cars" yet updated with an ecological twist. As silly as it may sound, I've been a bit of a car lover since I was a boy. I've always admired a well designed engine, good lines, great handling, etc. And I've also loved the mystique behind certain cars-- a 69 Mustang Fastback, an Iso Grifo, a DB7, a Dino 246 GT, etc.

I had been waiting for auto makers to blend so many of the things that go into the "love of cars" with one that would get great gas mileage (or not run on gas at all) and NOT emit greenhouse gasses. But I'm tired of waiting. The hybrids are a good first step and if I am conscious of the ecological and socio economic problems of using petroleum based cars with atrocious gas mileage (like my current SUV) then it is my duty to do something about it. So, after reading so many of the responses to my posting and doing the subsequent research, I find that the Lexus is quite good at giving me my "love of cars" fix (to some degree) and lowering emissions with ok mileage. I could do better (i.e. a Prius) but then I don't get the fix I want in other aspects. Personally, I think that some genius inventor has already engineered some amazingly powerful, efficient and zero emissions engine long ago but for nefarious reasons this was never adopted by the auto industry. So enough machinations, my time to act is now and I hope society (and the auto industry) will soon follow.