Is Technology Package worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:42 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Is Technology Package worthwhile?

Thanks all for your replies. I'm going to try to do some test drives tomorrow with and without the Tech package. I think I can easily live without the Nav so hard to see that it's worth so much - actually all the packages are so expensive!

Thanks for pointing out the issue with the Bluetooth and the Treo. I will try the integrated Bluetooth out with my iPhone and see how well it works. I have a Motorola car kit in my car, and I've found that honestly it does not work as well as some of the newer Bluetooth headsets! But the Connection package has a lot of other features that I would like over the Convenience package.

As for the question of the Prius, although it is more fuel efficient, I don't think I'm ready for something quite that small! It scares me to think what happens if the Prius gets hit by a Tahoe or something. I know it has a lot of airbags and all that...but, well, I wish there was a Volvo hybrid

Thanks again!

Jason

Old 04-29-2008, 09:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jse75
well, I wish there was a Volvo hybrid
Jason

But a volvo hybrid would have an embarassingly low fuel economy

Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Enthusiast

Treo's are terrible for bluetooth, my 680 would connect, but the connection was so bad it was unuseable. I bought a motorola, and the bluetooth is crystal-clear, and i use it all the time. In Cali it's now law, no handheld cell phones.

Originally Posted by tomscot2
We got the Tech package, mainly because we wanted the leather interior. My wife drives this car and she has fallen in love with the NAV system. She also likes the backup camera. I like having the XM with the traffic integrated into the NAV map, like Google Maps. It lets us know when there are going to be delays along the route we have planned without having to scroll down looking for it. However, I have yet to have the alternative routing system find any alternative routes, even when I know what they are.

I think the energy monitor has entertainment value, nothing more.

Bluetooth for the phone seems to vary with the quality of the phone you have. The connection with my Treo 755P is not as good as it is with my BT headset and it is terrible with my wife's Treo 650. I assume this would not vary regardless of which package you used.

'Hope you find this useful.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Hybrid Enthusast

We actually were looking for a connection package (everything except the nav screen and backup camera) but we couldn't find one. At first, we thought we weren't going to use the nav that much, but it's very simple and I actually love it. Its so easy to use with the bluetooth, but I haven't used a non-nav with Bluetooth. Also, in my opinion, it set my new NAH closer to what my old Infiniti was like, which is really nice. Good luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hi All,

I'm new here, but got my NAH a couple of months ago. It has the Tech Package. I use the Navi all the time and love it. My first Navi was on a Lexus, which I must saw is still one of the best I ever used. Second one was a aftermarket and I did not like it, but it did its job for the most part. This one is better than most other OEM versions especially on US Models.

One thing I did not know was that the Bluetooth technology has different frequencies. The brand new Verizon Touch did not work at all with the In Car system. The local Verizon store was able to try out a few models and the right frequency phone works great, but I was not willing to give up the Touch so I do not get to use the Phone Feature.

I can only drive with Leather seats because for some reason, Cloth causes me to get painful Static Shocks when I get in or out, so I could only choose Leather.

The back up camera is not only great, I think it should be mandatory on every vehicle today as it could prevent a number of child related deaths due to backing up. http://www.consumersunion.org/pub/co...ty/002257.html

Finally, the Energy Flow Chart is great and has helped me learn the art of Hypermiling.

All in All, I love this car and want to do all I can to push its great mpg even higher.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

You'd be basically paying 20% or more of the value of the car for this package so IMO, it's not worth it. I bought my 07 with the Convenience package (?) -- rear spoiler and power seat. I really wanted a sunroof but it was only available as part of the Tech package but at $5k+, it just wasn't worth it. If you're buying the NAH because you're worried about gas prices, it seems like you wouldn't be interested in forking over the expensive cost of this package.

The way I figured it, I could get anything I really missed out on from the Tech package in aftermarket instead of being forced to buy an expensive package that bundled some things that I didn't really care about (like XM radio or a more graphical display of EV mode).

Old 06-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jse75

As for the question of the Prius, although it is more fuel efficient, I don't think I'm ready for something quite that small! It scares me to think what happens if the Prius gets hit by a Tahoe or something. I know it has a lot of airbags and all that...but, well, I wish there was a Volvo hybrid

Thanks again!

Jason
This is the same line of thinking that had everyone buying big SUV's until they found out you are really are not safer in a big car. Look at this crash test of the Smart Car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s

Bigger is not better and though I have the NAH, the Prius was actually bigger as in had more trunk space, had more rear passenger leg room, more visibility, and more gas mileage. Two more inches on the front seat and I'd be sitting in a Prius and not an NAH.

Test drive ALL the cars. Find the car you like and then fine the package you like. For me the Tech Package was worth every penny. I use the Nav every day and I tried, but do not like the aftermarket nav systems when you compare them to OEM Navs. For the record, I have been using a Nav since 2003. Both aftermarket and OEM. Also try out your phone with each of the cars. Only takes a minute to pair them up.