Off Topic Politics, life, gadgets, people... gobbledygook.

State of the Union

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Overall I think it was a great speech.
However on one hand he mentioned spending restraint, but then promotes some new spending projects. Was that 3.5 millon $$ going to the Palastinians?
I really don't want any of my money funding a largely terrorist organizaton, or an amnesty to illegal aliens program.
A few points I liked:
Privatising a small portion of social security. I remember warnings back in the 1970's that we're headed for a train wreck but until this date have done nothing. I think it is good to look at all options, what ever they are, then impliment them.

If the Federal social security machine was held to the same laws & standards as private business, the Enron scandal would seem petty.

I liked the mention to end frivilous lawsuits, which I hope would play a major part in healthcare reform. Tax reform is a big issue with me, personally I like John Linder's retail sales tax plan. Imagine keeping all of your paycheck, while most everything drops in price. I could sure put my money to good use!

Quite touching how he gave honor to the determination of the Iraqi people and our armed forces. I think his speech gets 8 out of 10 points.

It's too bad there's so much partisan in the hall. It seems like Bush could've mentioned "Peace on Earth and goodwill to man" and still get bitter opposition.
Minutes later Nancy Pelosi made her press report, vowing to fight and obstruct any progress, even mentioned that the Iraq pullout is "Long overdue". Does she realize what would happen if we just left? Of course she does. Is she the represenative of her party?

Great. 4 More years of opposing everything, even the great things which would benefit us most. I'm certainly not saying that all ideas are good: but opposing everything just because it comes from across the isle is just wrong.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 02-03-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason
I think he delivered it much better than he did in the past. He didn't seem quite as nervous. What really bothers me, though, is the outright partisanship both at the floor of the House and in the post-State speeches by party leaders. The opposing party, who obviously wrote the speech before the State even took place, always attack the president for his stance. Can't they wait a day before the go on with their political agenda? Don't they agree with anything?? It's another flaw in our representative democracy: the two party system. There isn't such thing as friendly competition when the stakes are high. And, it's too bad.
Jason,

You're more savvy politically than I because of your background and interest, but I can't help but wonder if having 2 parties is not a gift instead of a curse. If it we had multiple parties we would have coalition governments, such as Europe and the rest of the somewhat democratic world. Wouldn't that be worse. I mean, coalition governments are not known for creating really good powerful policy, rather good ideas get watered down into nothingness and things do not progress; in any direction.