4 mph - does it do any difference.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 4 mph - does it do any difference.

thank you much, printing it out. so, at glance - it's all dandy, but there does not appear to be any instructions on how to DO those adjustments. just what can be changed.

ideas?

Old 06-14-2011, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ibmsorcerer
You only worried about the mph... Wow did you miss something... Being 5 - 10 % off in mph also says they are off in distance, so if we make a small assumption as I don't know exactly how it effects distance (I think it means the same thing though). So after 36000 miles 5 % = 1800 miles short and 10% means 3600 miles short. So we in reality our 36000 mile warranty is only some where between 32400 - 34200 miles... Now if we multiply that by some number of cars (total sold in US as an example). Makes a difference on their bottom line doesn't it... Aren't they so nice....
this is astoundingly true. if it's "permitted" to lie 5% on mileage, with my vehicle closing on 60K, i am actually 3 000 miles off on powertrain warranty to their benefit.

are we the only ones here that - thanks to ibmsorcerer - "got it" and no one starts a law suite or something against them? i'll write a letter to Toyota next. f-...k this. banks have done enough of this, now car makers do same? have us for suckers?

Old 06-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Now-a-days... with the invent of true digital speedometers and odometers, there really isn't a real reason that either of those should be off. Most cars now have various things that can be adjusted (oil change, filter change, PCV valve change intervals), would be simple thing to have adjusted each time when tires are replaced based on tire dimensions...

Old 06-14-2011, 06:41 PM

indeed. but it is what it is.every time i think about this, i have only one thought come to my mind - banks. or any other company that has access to your money or can take them. have you noticed how they once in a while do an "honest mistake"? have you ever seen one that will put money into your pocket? no, somehow, it always benefits them. if you catch it - they will apologize and fix it. if you don't - caveat emptor.
it's same never ending crap with this speedo too. apparently, like all cars have it. apparently, NONE OF THEM shows speed lower than the real one. somehow, they are all off same way - and causing same benefit to a manufacturer.

and it's up to us - do we put up with this? or call them on it? all Toyota needs now is a class law suite. and i am not the one to start it, no, not the type. but i am also quite tired of being considered an eternal sucker.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Active Enthusiast

Yes, being electronic there ISN'T much error. As people have pointed out the ScanGauge speed matches a GPS receiver.

But...

Lawyers...

So, most manufacturers add 4 MPH or so to the speedometer so they don't get class action lawsuits for people receiving speeding tickets.

And Honda (at least) DID receive a class action lawsuit (probably about 10 years ago) for overages on their odometers. So cars now under-read the odometer.

In the end: Your speedometer reads high, your odometer reads low.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
thank you much, printing it out. so, at glance - it's all dandy, but there does not appear to be any instructions on how to DO those adjustments. just what can be changed.

ideas?
Almost all of the items are changeable only with a programming tool (at the dealer). I found that list before I bought mine and had the dealer make all the changes I wanted as part of the prep.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

The problem with speedo errors is that it is so dependent on the tires and tire wear. On my other car my speedo is spot on with winter tires and off by 6% on summer tires. Same size tires. Part of the difference will be the wear and part will be the starting revolutions per mile that different tires (of the same size) have.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by BOFH
Almost all of the items are changeable only with a programming tool (at the dealer). I found that list before I bought mine and had the dealer make all the changes I wanted as part of the prep.
thank you. makes sense. i'd rather press recirc button than pay a dealer for prolly at least an hour of doing this.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by n8kwx
Yes, being electronic there ISN'T much error. As people have pointed out the ScanGauge speed matches a GPS receiver.

But...

Lawyers...

So, most manufacturers add 4 MPH or so to the speedometer so they don't get class action lawsuits for people receiving speeding tickets.

And Honda (at least) DID receive a class action lawsuit (probably about 10 years ago) for overages on their odometers. So cars now under-read the odometer.

In the end: Your speedometer reads high, your odometer reads low.

this makes sense, actually. reason it does is it explains, why my ECU knows true speed, but speedo shows upped by 4mph one. does not explain why mine does it, joe's doesn't, mary's does by a 2mph margin, and so on, but this can be explained with variables like tire pressure, size, rubber softness, how much tire is worn out on tred.

just in case, do you have sources for your statements? i can live with stupid 40mph limit problem with Emode (also, i am now safely assuming that guy who drives behind me has his speedo off too, so he does not know i am dragging), but the warranty issue is more important. they can pass me if they are in such a rush.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 AM
Active Enthusiast

Two and a half years ago we sold a '05 Forester before buying the '09 TCH. A couple of months later we got notified that a class action lawsuit was approved against Suburu due to speedometers and odometers registering low mileage. The main complaint was warranties running out early and the lease holders being charged for inflated mileage.

Anybody know a lawyer with class action experience that needs work?

Quick Reply: 4 mph - does it do any difference.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands