Aftermarket GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS

The least expensive GPS systems are point-to-point devices. Meaning, you give the location you want to go and it points you in a straight line. Useful for hiking, but not so good on the road. I've had both Magellan and Garmin GPSs and I prefer the Garmin software, but if you don't plan on hooking up the GPS to your computer than you wouldn't care.

For a car, the feature you want is 'auto-routing'. In the last few years you can now find these for as little as $150. As you go up in price there are a few other useful features.
- Speech directions (less distracting than trying to read the screen)
- Large Points of Interest (POI) databases. Useful when you are in a strange place and trying to find a bite to eat or a hotel.
- Waterproof/resistant - more of a convertible/motorcycle feature
- Bluetooth connectivity to handle your phone calls
- FM broadcasting to make voice directions come over your car stereo

Old 07-14-2008, 09:17 AM
Along for the ride.....

I have Garmin 650 and love it too
says street names and has larger screen - I didn't care about bluetooth as I have it already so I saved some money. It was $300 at Costco 6 months ago.

Taking it from Maine to Colorado starting this Friday (or maybe I should say it's gonna take me there)

Old 07-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Haroldo...First...some background...When I bought my TCH, I wanted the GPS NAV system, ONLY because of the Hybrid specific energy screens that it provided. Now, two years and 35,000 miles later, I wouldn't buy a car without a GPS/NAV system.

I bought a Garmin 200w last December for under $200 delivered from Amazon, for use when I travel, both in a rental car and when walking. We recently spent some time walking around in DC and Boston, and the convienenvce of the hand held GPS was wonderful. I also used it on the plane, which I now know was a no no, but it was real cool to see the altitiule and speed, (619mph!) as well as being able to easliy identify the towns and rivers we were flying over.

With that all said, I think the hand held GPS units offer alot. I don't need it to tell me to "turn right at Elm St," when it says "turn right in 500 ft". That is just as good. The ONLY thing I could consider missing on the Garmin 200W is the map plotted POI iconss that the TCH GPS has, and perhaps the higher end Garmins as well. The 200W does tell you where the POIs are, just doesn't display the icons on the map. And I'm not sure it is needed.

The only other downside I find to the hand held unit is the power cord issue in the car, and feeling that I need to hide the unit when parking in public.

In some respects, as others have noted in other threads, the Gamin is superior to the TCH NAV, providing more info...true vehicle speed and elevation, just to name two off the top of my head.

Feel free to ask me any specific questions as I use both the TCH NAV and the hand held Garmin 200W frequently. Keep in mind that no GPS unit is perfect, and sometimes, you will know a better route in familiar areas, but they are extremely valuable in unfamiliar places.

Edit: added info: If you miss a turn with the 200w, it will quickly re-calculate and provide new instructions. It allows you to also choose either the fastest route, or the shortest, and allows you to avoid things such as toll roads, dirt roads, etc.

Last edited by jbollt; 07-14-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Active Enthusiast

I do not have the TCH Nav in my car as I have been quite happy with my Garmin. I also like the fact that I can move it from one vehicle to another. I find that I like the Nav to speak street names as I can keep my eyes on the road and read the street signs as I am driving to them. I suppose that is personal preference.

It might be best to take a look at the different features that are offered on GPS and decide what you like and dislike or have no need for. That way you can narrow down the choices. When I bought my Nuvi, there were 3 choices, now there are almost 30 different models in the Nuvi Line alone. :0

I have used the Magelin in rental cars and settled on the garmin when I bought mine. I have no experience with the other lines out there (Tom tom, etc.) I found the Nuvi to be easier to use and customize.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
The only other downside I find to the hand held unit is the power cord issue in the car, and feeling that I need to hide the unit when parking in public.
The stand alone GPS certainly isn't as neat right off the bat. I've bought after market mounts and power cables to make the installation look nice while still retaining the ability to pull the GPS out quickly.

One issue for us is that we have three vehicles that we use on a regular basis plus my parents boat. Aside from the fact that a built in GPS wasn't available for my motorcycle, I wouldn't want to buy four GPSs when I can only use it in one spot at a time.

I also like the new stand-alone GPS keychains. $90 and they can connect to a bluetooth phone running Google Maps. The screen is too small for the driver to use, but a passenger could easily serve as navigator with these bad boys.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have a Garmin 260W and the Garmin friction mount. They are both great. The 260W has no frills but does speak the street names and has a nice wide screen. The friction mount lets me toss the whole thing in the glove compartment then out again and there is no evidence I have a GPS.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

Garmin nuvi 350 GPS

Bought it right after my TCH at Xmas 2006 for a then reasonable $475. It is now available for around $200. Check comparison sites like Pricegrabber). Make sure you get the most up to date maps or at least the free upgrade to 2009 based on date of purchase. Excellent Customer support from Garmin. I differ from others, and prefer the street name announcement. Fantastic database of POI and ability to add others. Can store pics and MP3's but speaker isn't that good for music. Fits in your pocket to keep secure when not in use and easily moved from vehicle to vehicle. Holds a long charge for pedestrian/biking use. No Bluetooth...but you have that in your TCH for phone use anyway. Also note that newer/other Garmin models do have traffic module built in for real time traffic/rerouting, so if you're a commuter or urbanite you may want this feature It is only available as an add on device for the 350. I wouldn't go with anyone but Garmin no matter what the model.

It has a suction cup mount which I've found to be frustrating in FL where heat molded one to the window...Garmin replaced on warranty.
With the TCH you can hide the adaptor in the center console/AC outlet bin in front of the shifter and pocket the unit. There are other mounting styles available, but I frequently just set it in the cup holder and rely on the voice navigation. Likewise in our vintage '95 4 cylinder BMW.

On a different note...depending on your location and driving habits (mine don't include commuting) you may want to research a relatively new product...from DASH...I think it has an interesting strategy to include realtime traffic via a network of DASH users...obviously, the strength of that unit increases as users do. Haven't researched the DASH much as I don't need it.

Final disclaimer...remember, GPS are being creatively used by insurers, divorce attorneys etc as there's lingering information in them...equal to not clearing the cache out on your interent browser. One example would be showing your hightest speed in the stats.

Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wdmark
Final disclaimer...remember, GPS are being creatively used by insurers, divorce attorneys etc as there's lingering information in them...equal to not clearing the cache out on your interent browser. One example would be showing your hightest speed in the stats.
My top speed solution was to record a 180mph top and leave it set. I'm pretty sure no one would believe my car did that.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wdmark
Garmin nuvi 350 GPS

. One example would be showing your hightest speed in the stats.

Good Luck!

I show a top speed of 619mph on my Garmin! From the plane ride....

Old 07-14-2008, 06:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jbollt
I show a top speed of 619mph on my Garmin! From the plane ride....
That would be an impressive land/speed record....and no doubt a boost to mainstreaming hybrid technology....probably difficult in E mode.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands