Aftermarket GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 10:02 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS

JoeRemix's GPS recommendations:

If you're on a tight budget and/or you want a GPS that will easily fit in a SMALL (and I emphasize small) purse, bag, or pocket: get the Garmin Nuvi 200.
-3.5" screen (not widescreen)
-no text-to-speech (where it'll say "turn right on Main St" vs. "turn right in 500 ft."
-cheap (approximately $150 at Circuit City IN STORE, about the same as you'll find on pricegrabber.com actually)

If you want a bigger widescreen, but are on a budget: get the Garmin Nuvi 205w
-4.3" screen (widescreen)
-no text-to speech
-still pretty cheaper ($249 in store at CC, $239 from butterflyphoto.com found using pricegrabber)

If you want some text-to-speech but don't need real-time traffic (this service costs extra, mind you), get the Garmin Nuvi 255w

Garmin Nuvi 255w ($349.99 in store at CC, roughly the same via pricegrabber.com)
-4.3" widescreen
-text-to-speech
-no traffic capability

Text-to-speech and traffic alerts: Garmin Nuvi 750 or 780

I can't really decide which is better, the 750 or 780, but the 780 retails for about $250 more than the 750. Both are on super-dooper sale at CC.com right now though, $399.99 and $549.99 respectively.

One last tip: if you're generally rough on electronics and/or you'll be pulling your GPS's power out of the 12v in your car a lot, you might want to think about a warranty at either Circuit City or Best Buy (I say these two stores because you can take them into the store instead of sending it out). I suggest this because the power cords are fragile, but your "extended service plan" let's you go to the store and just have them swap out a new one for you. If you're rough on the actual electronics (e.g. you carry it around in a bag or purse and you sometimes spill shampoo, coffee, water, puncture LCD screens with pens/pencils, etc.) an accidental plan might make sense. Weigh the cost of replacing your item with the cost of the plan. I'd say anything costing more than 15% of the price you pay is pretty silly, unless you're almost guaranteed to use it within the first 6 months.

Ok, sorry this post was so long, but I hope it helps you GPS seekers out there!

Old 07-22-2008, 04:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS

perfect response...thanks!