Aftermarket GPS

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS

Originally Posted by jbollt
I show a top speed of 619mph on my Garmin! From the plane ride....
Nice speed, but what was the FE?

Old 07-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS, map updates

How do the various brands of GPS compare on updating maps (freq & $$$) and how easy is it to install the updates.

Thanks...

Old 07-16-2008, 03:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Aftermarket GPS, map updates

Originally Posted by BOFH
How do the various brands of GPS compare on updating maps (freq & $$$) and how easy is it to install the updates.

Thanks...
Pretty much all of them release updates once a year. Prices have dropped substantially over the years, so Garmin only charges $60 for all of Canada and USA. I believe the standard Magellan update is $80.

There is a catch, some older/lower end GPS systems don't use the standard maps and are much more expensive to update because you have to buy multiple 'pieces'.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

I can only speak for Garmin but their updates come out around the beginning of June and are $69. Once you have the software, you simply have to plug in the device to a computer and run the update program. Since the maps are large they take a while to update (just under an hour or so). After update, you are set to go.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

slightly off topic but how much are the Toyo Navi updates?

Old 07-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Hawaiian

I installed the Kenwood 8120 Double din head unit. It has a garmin nav. its great and looks stock and has all the bells and whistles

Old 07-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

That's pretty cool!! I have not seen that unit. Any chance you can post a pic or two?

Thanks!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I just got a Magellan Triton 200 hand-held GPS unit as a raffle prize. I have no intention of ever using it, and it's never been opened. I'll be happy to sell it for $100 (+ $10 shipping) to anyone who prefers this type of unit as opposed to an in-dash NAV unit. Otherwise it will just end up being re-gifted to my brother-in-law later in the year. PM me if interested.

http://www.nextag.com/MAGELLAN-Trito...48/prices-html

Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by test54
slightly off topic but how much are the Toyo Navi updates?
I was quoted $350 by my dealership's parts department for Version 7.1 up here in Canada.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

www.pricegrabber.com is all you need to know when shopping for ANYTHING online. Just click on what you want to find, or type it into the search, it'll then list products, show you the best prices (plus shipping, specific to that website), there are reviews of the website, and reviews of the products. I recommend BuyDig.com for many electronics (that's where I got my Garmin Nuvi 660 in November 07 for about $500 when it was retailing for 700ish).

For great reviews of electronics, though Circuit City isn't the best place to shop in person, their website is excellent for customer reviews. I'd say it's a safe bet that most GPSes will have 15 or more reviews and/or ratings, even if they've just been unveiled (geeks/nerds like to shop online and do reviews...). I find Best Buy's website quite unhelpful, and their in-store pick-up is terrible (they require you to have your email confirmation printed and in hand to pick up your product, even if you have ID, credit card used, and order number...or so they tell me).

Anyway, BuyDig.com or many of the other sites rated 4 stars or higher found via www.pricegrabber.com

Quick Reply: Aftermarket GPS

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands