Almost hit my first pedestrian today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Wink Almost hit my first pedestrian today!

Okay, so it wasn't really THAT close a call. But it has taught me to be MUCH MORE CAREFUL when I'm driving my TCH than I needed to be when I drove my noisy Honda!

I was in a parking lot, cruising through at about 5 MPH, and so of course I was in EV mode. This guy came out of a bank, and he was looking at the stuff in his hands (deposit slip or something), and he hopped off the curb and took about three steps. Then he looked to the right toward my car, looked away, then did a double-take and stopped short. I had of course stopped by then, too. He smiled and waved me a little apology, and I motioned him to go ahead and cross in front of me.

Small incident, and not really a close call at all, but boy did it make me realize how QUIET this car is! My car has a new nickname: "StealthCar"

Old 03-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Almost hit my first pedestrian today!

Too bad.....bank pedestrians are worth at least 150 points.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

When I'm at the movie theater or a grocery parking lot and people are walking in the same direction as my car, they won't get out of the way. I'm stuck going 2mph until they start going in a different direction as me. Its more amusing than an annoyance though.

Last edited by Pepsi; 03-09-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, I definitely find it amusing!

I have to resist the temptation to sneak up behind people and honk the horn at them.

Go, StealthCar, Go!

Old 03-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pepsi
When I'm at the movie theater or a grocery parking lot and people are walking in the same direction as my car, they won't get out of the way. I'm stuck going 2mph until they start going in a different direction as me. Its more amusing than an annoyance though.
I've noticed the same thing. I find it rather amusing to turn on the A/C and watch their startled expression when they suddenly notice they are walking right in front of the TCH. The A/C cooling fans make just enough noise to alert them to my presence.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Khabita

Okay, so it wasn't really THAT close a call. But it has taught me to be MUCH MORE CAREFUL when I'm driving my TCH than I needed to be when I drove my noisy Honda!

I was in a parking lot, cruising through at about 5 MPH, and so of course I was in EV mode. This guy came out of a bank, and he was looking at the stuff in his hands (deposit slip or something), and he hopped off the curb and took about three steps. Then he looked to the right toward my car, looked away, then did a double-take and stopped short. I had of course stopped by then, too. He smiled and waved me a little apology, and I motioned him to go ahead and cross in front of me.

Small incident, and not really a close call at all, but boy did it make me realize how QUIET this car is! My car has a new nickname: "StealthCar"
I have a feeling that guy wouldn't have noticed you even if you were in a non-hybrid car. Sounds like he was preoccupied and not paying attention.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 AM
old fart

You could have a 1975 chev truck with no exhaust and they would still not hear you.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Banned

Ironic - a century ago, cities banned cars because their noise spooked horses.

Old 03-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have this same problem with squirrels.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brick
I have this same problem with squirrels.
Oh, if I saw a squirrel in my neighborhood I'd aim to run it over. **** squirrel chewing holes in my attic!