Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Installed mine today, thank you!

Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

So last night I decided to try to install the back-up camera on my 2007 TCH. After all the wiring was finished, I turned the car on and put it in reverse. The screen showed a very distorted black and white picture (the camera is a color camera). I thought that maybe that pins I used on the back of the nav were not making a good connection. So today I went out and bought a 4-pin audio cable for a computer, used the pins and wires from that, and tried everything again. The same thing happened! What could be causing this? A bad camera, perhaps?

camrycamera.jpg

Old 10-08-2011, 04:36 AM
Aki
Enthusiast

I would double check the wiring and make sure you didn't reverse the wires anywhere along the way to the back of the head unit. Also check your ground wire. And finally, make absolutely sure you're plugging the pins into the right holes because the picture looks like it's out of phase. If all that is correct, the only thing left is that your camera is defective.

-aki

Old 10-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Aki
I would double check the wiring and make sure you didn't reverse the wires anywhere along the way to the back of the head unit. Also check your ground wire. And finally, make absolutely sure you're plugging the pins into the right holes because the picture looks like it's out of phase. If all that is correct, the only thing left is that your camera is defective.

-aki
I tried wiring it up two ways and the both failed. The first time I hooked all of the wires into the back of the head unit. The second time, I put the red and black wires to the reverse light. I had to cut the standard video cable that came with the camera to get the two separate wires out of it. Once the cable was cut open, there was a yellow wire and a wire without any coating on it. I hooked the yellow one up to pin 22 (Video V+) and the other one up to pin 23 (Video V- shield). So I'm guessing that it is in fact a bad camera. Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Mario81587; 10-08-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Aki
Enthusiast

that's the wrong pin out.... 21 is ground and 22 is video. The bare wire is ground. That goes into 21. The internal yellow wire is the video and goes into 22. Don't use 23. That's probably your problem. Your video is out of phase.

-aki

Old 10-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

Where does the Video V- shield wire come from?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Aki
Enthusiast

there isn't any. Just ground and video +, pins 21 and 22.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for your help! I'm going to go back out there tonight and swap the wires around and hope that works! I'll keep you posted!

-Mario

Old 10-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Aki
Enthusiast

good luck and keep us posted.

cheers,
-aki

Old 10-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Enthusiast

I just went out and moved the ground wire to the number 21 pin and nothing happened when I put the car in reverse. I checked multiple times to make sure both pins were pushed all the way through and making good contact. Still, nothing happened. I then moved the ground back over to 23 and the camera came back on again, but I still got the same distorted, black and white image.

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands