Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

I finally got it to work! I bought a cheap $10 camera from eBay and it worked out perfectly! I bought the factory trim piece from the 2010-2011 Camry SE with the factory camera and installed that as well.

aa8101a7.jpg

cc549cc2.jpg

Old 06-29-2012, 11:32 PM
Enthusiast

Mario81587
Can you share the link in ebay the camera you bought? im also planning to install one in mine. the trim you bought it color keyed to your car already?

Old 06-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

The link for the camera is:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Night-Vision...#ht_4212wt_983

I ordered the trim piece already painted from Toyota from the link below.

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/201...w=21&maxRow=10

I ordered it for a 2011 Camry SE w/Smart Key w/back monitor. It lists all the different color choices. Another option you have is to order the trim piece for the XLE model, which is chrome plated.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Enthusiast

This is a great thread!! Thanks to jagbagri for starting it!!!

I've had my '08 TCH for almost a year and a half. My issue is that I don't have a reference point that I did in my Matrix or Wrangler to estimate how far away from things I am. Lame I know but whatever.

I have no problem ripping apart the dash to get to the back of the head unit. My issue is that the adapter that I soldered together will not either go in the R10 connector or stay there once it's in. By shining a flashlight behind the connector I can see where it get's stuck. For lack of a better description, it stops at the joint on the connector. Or it slides in all the way but slips backwards out the connector.

I was able to get it to stick once. However, I only connected the Video + and Video -. Missed the part in the tread about a jumper to the ground pin, so the image was less than stellar and I know the camera was good on my tv.

So my request for help is: how do I get the darn pins to stay in the connector? does the flat run from the main section of the pin to the pin's wire clamp go into the connector facing the center of the R10 or bottom? Any suggestions on making the adapter? Any viable alternatives so I don't have to keep soldering my brains out? To be clear, I'm soldering it to a female RCA adapter since the camera I bought and I think most now-of-days are RCA.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!

Oh and Mario81587 thanks for link to the license molding!! Once I know I can get the camera working I will order.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Enthusiast

Hi, my camera arrived. it came with an RCA with red wire outside. does that thing needs to be installed?

Old 07-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ManchesterLover
This is a great thread!! Thanks to jagbagri for starting it!!!

I've had my '08 TCH for almost a year and a half. My issue is that I don't have a reference point that I did in my Matrix or Wrangler to estimate how far away from things I am. Lame I know but whatever.

I have no problem ripping apart the dash to get to the back of the head unit. My issue is that the adapter that I soldered together will not either go in the R10 connector or stay there once it's in. By shining a flashlight behind the connector I can see where it get's stuck. For lack of a better description, it stops at the joint on the connector. Or it slides in all the way but slips backwards out the connector.

I was able to get it to stick once. However, I only connected the Video + and Video -. Missed the part in the tread about a jumper to the ground pin, so the image was less than stellar and I know the camera was good on my tv.

So my request for help is: how do I get the darn pins to stay in the connector? does the flat run from the main section of the pin to the pin's wire clamp go into the connector facing the center of the R10 or bottom? Any suggestions on making the adapter? Any viable alternatives so I don't have to keep soldering my brains out? To be clear, I'm soldering it to a female RCA adapter since the camera I bought and I think most now-of-days are RCA.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions are much appreciated!!!

Oh and Mario81587 thanks for link to the license molding!! Once I know I can get the camera working I will order.

I know that this sounds like a horrible idea and I'm sure that a lot of people that read this will think it is as well, but there is a plastic piece along the top of the R10 connector that can be pried up with a very small flat head screw driver. It supposedly locks all of the wires down into place. While prying mine up, I accidentally broke off the half of it that is on the side where you insert the wires for the camera. With that half broken off, all of the original wires still stayed in place, but now I could see where I was inserting the wires for the camera and I used the small flat head to push the camera wires all the way back into place. I wish I had taken pictures. I might take it apart sometime next week and take a few photos.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drini
After three days of trying, I finally was able to successfully install E313 backup camera (an ebay $17.89 & free shipping). It took me three days to diagnose because I was having doubts to the vary inexpensive camera.
The problem was that I was testing with an external battery and lack of ground to Pin 23 showed a very faint video. Solution below:

Pin 24 = +6V Power --- (I did not use this. Powered from 12V reverse light)
Pin 23 = Video V- (Shield) ----(This connector is not grounded, infinite resistance)
Pin 22 = Video + ---- Connected video from E313 rear view camera (has 75 Ohm with ground).
Pin 21 = Ground ---- Connected with Pin 23 to fix the problem.

Now I have very clear picture and works flawlessly.

TCH 2009 with Navigation
Drini-

Are you saying that powering the camera via an external source will result in a bad picture?

Thanks.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:36 AM
Enthusiast

Is it possible to turn on the backup camera to view it on Nav display while driving without going into reverse ?

Please advise.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Oz_TCH
Is it possible to turn on the backup camera to view it on Nav display while driving without going into reverse ?

Please advise.
No, only works when in reverse.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Enthusiast

Hi sir,
Can you tell me if the rostra kit worked OK for your car please??
I am going to purchase one today and would appreciate the feedback.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Back up Camrea installation to the NAV unt (with pictures)

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands