Best Tank Ever

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Active Enthusiast
Exclamation Best Tank Ever

Today I filled up after driving 728 miles. Took 15.48 gallons to fill up. The MFD showed 47.2 mpg which was unusually close to the actual. End result indicates that I could have pushed it a little longer and achieved 750 miles on the tank.

The key difference from other tanks was the amount of highway driving I did. Took one trip to Palm Springs and back and another to San Clemente. Estimate 80% highway, 20% city. Much of the city was after freeway driving so the mileage then was excellent.

This car is unbelievable. I don't thing I'll hit 800 miles on a tank because of the hills we have but it sure looks possible for a flat commute.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Newbie and lovin' it!
Talking Re: Best Tank Ever

Awesome! My best tank ever was 43 mpg. Lately, my FE seems to be dropping a bit, probably constant use of AC and in-town driving.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:34 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Best Tank Ever

wow, that's pretty good!

I get 47mpg on the highway in my Prius doing 70mph.

Old 06-27-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by H2O Doctor
Today I filled up after driving 728 miles. Took 15.48 gallons to fill up. The MFD showed 47.2 mpg which was unusually close to the actual. End result indicates that I could have pushed it a little longer and achieved 750 miles on the tank
How are you doing this Dave??? I live in SoCal too. We have exactly the same car, right down to the color and I only get 33mpg or so. I drive as conservatively as I dare, without angering my fellow motorists. I've tried different brands of gas. In some cases outside of rush hour if one isn't cruising at 75mph, one risks catching a round from a car behind, trying to pass. I can do slower, but only in the truck lane. And then you have stone chips to worry about.

What's your secret?

Old 06-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Congrats...that's a really good tank. My tank average has been dropping because of the hotter weather and humidity. My current tank is around 41.5 according to the MFD. Calculated it's probably around 40.5. I'll find out in the next couple of days as it's almost time to fill up.

Old 06-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Enthusiast

That's pretty impressive with the mpg and range posted for the tch.... I have HAH and the best I've gotten out of a tank is about 600 miles at 42.3mpg.... that's with lots of downhill help driving back from Tahoe..... maybe I should have waited to get the TCH versus my HAH.... but the added acceleration on my HAH has help in a lot of instances on the highway with merging.... maybe I should look at the TCH for the wife when it's time to get a new car...

Old 06-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by McGyver
How are you doing this Dave??? I live in SoCal too. We have exactly the same car, right down to the color and I only get 33mpg or so. I drive as conservatively as I dare, without angering my fellow motorists. I've tried different brands of gas. In some cases outside of rush hour if one isn't cruising at 75mph, one risks catching a round from a car behind, trying to pass. I can do slower, but only in the truck lane. And then you have stone chips to worry about.

What's your secret?

1. I use Cruise Control almost always on the freeway and even use it in town when feasable.
2. I drive in the #2 and #3 lane and stay out of the #1 and #4 lanes. If I keep out of the fast lane, others simply pass me. I pick the lane based on how fast others are going. If the traffic is very fast, I use the #3 lane.
3. Generally, I drive between 60 and 65 mph.
4. My philosphy is that braking is a last resort, so I try to anticipate based on what's ahead. My mechanic was shocked at how little brake wear I had at 10,000 miles.
5. I use A/C only on the freeway and with ECO, on the city streets, I keep my windows down.
6. I find that my city mileage is best when I drive for more than 10 minutes so I combine trips and go to the farthest point first. A warm engine gets much better mileage.
7. I increased the pressure in my tires to 40 psig.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM

I posted some (maybe a bit long-winded, lol) comments on how _I_ get my mileage, in another thread ("Need help with mileage, Please!!!", started by mjsdas).

I have to say since then, two notes: first, after thinking about the mileage question, my bottom line was "keep your feet off the pedals as much as possible". cruise control on the highway as much as you can, coast down from highway speeds for ramps and things rather than braking.. just any time when you'd normally be pumping a pedal, if you can avoid it you're probably better off. Cruise will have much better control of the gas than your foot, and coasting instead of braking is good for mileage and recharging.

Second, my previous tank was my highest so far (1 year anniversary was 6/17!), at 41.5 (last year got a couple 40.9 but then it dropped for the cold season, down to low 30s in Jan/Feb) (also, the mileage from my display was surprisingly close to my calculated mileage), but my current tank is now showing 42.8 mpg! This is switching to much more cross-country driving through towns for my commute rather than the interstate driving I usually do. Riding around that 40 mph mark is great for getting as much free miles as you can!

But going to take a lot of 42+ mpg tanks to make much difference with my current average of just over 35 mpg. :\ Stupid winter!