HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

Best Tank Ever!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Best Tank Ever!

I got my best tank ever last weekend, but it didn't happen under the conditions you might expect--it was mountain driving with a fully loaded car! My wife and I loaded the HCH up with camping stuff and drove up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a weekend of camping and hiking. On the drive up, I managed to keep it at 54mpg (computer), even though we drove from a low of 5,280 feet in Denver to almost 10,000 feet at the campground. Coming home I managed 58mpg (computer) for a stated trip average of 56mpg. I was a little disappointed, but how can you argue with 56mpg right?

Imagine my surprise when I filled up and calculated 62.4mpg!!! This was at my "favorite" pump too. I've never had the computer be so far off before. Usually, when I'm above 55mpg, the computer ends up being spot on to the tank calculation.

Contrary to the conventional wisdom that hills and mountains might hurt your FE, I'm quite sure that they are of benefit!

Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Eco Accelerometrist
Default Re: Best Tank Ever!

Congratulations on the awesome numbers Kristian !!!

Originally Posted by kristian
Contrary to the conventional wisdom that hills and mountains might hurt your FE, I'm quite sure that they are of benefit!
Without taking away from your excitement, I would add that the numbers you got in that type of driving regimen have a little to do with "who" was at the wheel.

It is amazing what a great FE tool like the HCH-2 can be in the hands of an expert pilot.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Great Mileage and Green

One of these days I will have to try the drive from Denver up to Rocky Mountain National Park. I'd be quite impressed to get that kind of mileage going up the mountains. My best tank thus far is the one I got today, 614.8 miles, 55.3 miles per gallon, all in the Denver metro area.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:18 PM

Kristian: I drive in mountain terran 90% of the time and the best I have managed is 4.4 ltr. per 100 kil. I think thats about 50+ mpg US. Those are hard to beat #'s you manage! , H

Old 06-12-2008, 07:21 PM

Congratulations.

That kind of mileage takes a lot of dedication and work!

Old 06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
I got my best tank ever last weekend, but it didn't happen under the conditions you might expect--it was mountain driving with a fully loaded car! My wife and I loaded the HCH up with camping stuff and drove up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a weekend of camping and hiking. On the drive up, I managed to keep it at 54mpg (computer), even though we drove from a low of 5,280 feet in Denver to almost 10,000 feet at the campground. Coming home I managed 58mpg (computer) for a stated trip average of 56mpg. I was a little disappointed, but how can you argue with 56mpg right?

Imagine my surprise when I filled up and calculated 62.4mpg!!! This was at my "favorite" pump too. I've never had the computer be so far off before. Usually, when I'm above 55mpg, the computer ends up being spot on to the tank calculation.

Wow, I wish I could achieve such numbers in the mountains. Congrats!!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by erscolo
One of these days I will have to try the drive from Denver up to Rocky Mountain National Park. I'd be quite impressed to get that kind of mileage going up the mountains. My best tank thus far is the one I got today, 614.8 miles, 55.3 miles per gallon, all in the Denver metro area.
It helps that I drive to Denver first. After Monument Hill north of the Springs, it is all a slight downhill grade with lots of glide opertunities until I hit Hwy 36. I am usually over 70mpg for 70 miles at that point. I try to drive with load on the way up the mountains and glide as much as possible on the way down.

I had a full SoC the whole way down and used glide assist as often as possible, just to take some juice out of the batteries--the regen braking is a lot more effective than "L". That little car is a rocket when the batteries are full and you're going down an 8% grade!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 AM

My Wife had a bird the first time she lost regen on a long hill, she thought the brakes had failed! <grin> H

Old 06-13-2008, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Harold
My Wife had a bird the first time she lost regen on a long hill, she thought the brakes had failed! <grin> H
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this behavior either--especially when it happens mid corner! I don't completely trust any car's brakes in the mountains, and I dislike having to use them in the HCH on long descents to keep the speed under control. However, that little 1.3L, super-efficent engine doesn't do much to keep your speed in check without the brakes--even in low.

I guess that's a trade off I will glady pay for 62.4mpg though!