Camry steering sensitivity

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Camry steering sensitivity

Originally Posted by restamp
On my prior cars, if you released the steering wheel, it would return to straight-ahead position on its own. This preferred position was quite narrow and deep. With my TCH, it seems much broader. In fact, on many gentle curves, I find I can steer the car into the curve, release the wheel, and the car will continue to track the curve.
Your description of what the TCH steering feels like is identical to my thoughts. This is purely a gut feel, but I think the wheels on a properly aligned car want to go straight. They don't want to be at an angle to the direction you are going and a force is created to self straighten them.

I think as a result of the EPS there is too much stiction or drag, or not enough mechanical advantage to let it self straighten. Not the same, but kind of like a worm gear driving another gear. If the power comes from the worm, you easily drive the other gear. If the power comes from the gear you can't make the worm turn.

That said, some have reported an improvement from a wheel alignment. More toe in if I recall correctly. A range is given in the Toyota specs and I believe it was adjusted to the max toe in limit. Tire wear may increase as a result though...