Camry vs Deer - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Camry vs Deer - Part 2

Ugh.

My beloved TCH has now killed/injured two deer. Deer number one was about 1 month after I got it, on August 18th, 2006. The deer was very small, and I was probably going about 45-50 at impact.

Collision #1:
http://www.spiffspace.com/blog/2006/...sidelined.html

The more recent collision was last week Saturday April 26, 2008. This time, we were driving home from the hospital after visiting with our new baby, and hit a larger deer than last time, but I think I managed to scrub off more speed than the last time. I would estimate I was going about 30-40 at impact this time. The damage isn't as severe as last time, with an estimate of about $3000 in damage (hood, grille, emblem, headlamp, and various retaining clips are included in the replacement parts needed). The car is also drivable this time, since the inverter radiator wasn't punctured this time.

My wife says that the car is so quiet that the deer can't hear it coming. I am starting to think there may be some truth to this.

Collision #2:
http://www.spiffspace.com/blog/2008/...collision.html

PS: Baby Evan is fine now, and is finally home!

Here's the little guy:
http://www.spiffspace.com/blog/2008/...an-connor.html

Old 05-04-2008, 10:09 AM
HSD Organic Interface
Default Re: Camry vs Deer - Part 2

Originally Posted by spiff72
My wife says that the car is so quiet that the deer can't hear it coming. I am starting to think there may be some truth to this.
I used to wonder if the average person really notices the difference when I drive by, especially in EV mode. Recently I've had opportunity to be passed by several TCHs while just out in the neighbourhood riding my bicycle. No two ways about it, they definitely sound different. I recognize the distinctive whine immediately, but to be honest I really don't find it any quieter than your average newer car due to plain old wind and tire noise (provided they are just cruising at speed or coasting and not gunning it to the next stop sign).

Old 05-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Pragmatist

My beloved TCH has now killed/injured two deer.
I have heard that the DNR officers in Michigan get all upset when your car hunts their deer out of season. The punishment is a term in the body shop.
The third one earns your car a label of "habitual offender", after which they don't let it out of the city any more. The fourth time it gets taken to the body shop, they throw away the key and never let it out.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:55 AM

Ugh.

My beloved TCH has now killed/injured two deer. Deer number one was about 1 month after I got it, on August 18th, 2006. The deer was very small, and I was probably going about 45-50 at impact.

Collision #1:
http://www.spiffspace.com/blog/2006/...sidelined.html

The more recent collision was last week Saturday April 26, 2008. This time, we were driving home from the hospital after visiting with our new baby, and hit a larger deer than last time, but I think I managed to scrub off more speed than the last time. I would estimate I was going about 30-40 at impact this time. The damage isn't as severe as last time, with an estimate of about $3000 in damage (hood, grille, emblem, headlamp, and various retaining clips are included in the replacement parts needed). The car is also drivable this time, since the inverter radiator wasn't punctured this time.

Collision #2:
http://www.spiffspace.com/blog/2008/...collision.html

PS: Baby Evan is fine now, and is finally home!

Here's the little guy:
http://www.spiffspace.com/blog/2008/...an-connor.html
Glad you are ok Jeff. Keep Evan safe! Congrats on the baby.

Good luck with the TCH repairs. My mother once had a stint with deer incidents. It lasted until she hit the fourth one. Needless to say, we had plenty of venison in the freezer that year.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
Glad you are ok Jeff. Keep Evan safe! Congrats on the baby.

Good luck with the TCH repairs. My mother once had a stint with deer incidents. It lasted until she hit the fourth one. Needless to say, we had plenty of venison in the freezer that year.
Thanks!

Four of them? I can't think of anyone I know who has hit more than one (other than me now). Ouch. I think my insurance company will disown me if I hit 2 more.

I am wondering if my rates are going to go up now.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:46 PM

Thanks!

Four of them? I can't think of anyone I know who has hit more than one (other than me now). Ouch. I think my insurance company will disown me if I hit 2 more.

I am wondering if my rates are going to go up now.
Yes, my mother is lucky! She had three in one winter and then another later in the year (I think it was the following fall).

I don't think the insurance went up...but who knows...the poor car....At least she was always ok....

I hope your insurance does not go up!

Last edited by mikieboyblue; 05-07-2008 at 06:03 AM. Reason: I sounded like a jerk!
Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikieboyblue
I hope your insurance does go up!
I hope you meant "doesn't go up"!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Active Enthusiast

Depending on where you live, 2 deer in 20 months is at the lower end. A few years ago, I lived in Des Moines, Iowa and the deer were getting so bad that there was serious talk of an urban archery deer season to thin out the population a bit. Most people don't get that when given unlimited food, some critters will have a population explosion. There is a term that applies here: The law of unintended consequences.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:02 AM

I hope you meant "doesn't go up"!
LOL

Jeez, now didn't I sound like a jerk....Sorry!!!

Yes, I meant, "I hope your insurance does not go up!"