Dumb button placement, good catch

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:04 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Dumb button placement, good catch

I've questioned why the 'ECO' switch is down to the left, by the fuel door release button. Others have lamented the fact that many buttons are not illuminated. Some have wondered why 'ECO' mode seems to develop a mind of its own and turn off.' Put the three together, and this is what you get: Last night, I noticed the 'ECO' mode was off, reached down to turn it on, couldn't tell which button was 'ECO' and which was the fuel door, took a chance and pressed a button. Nothing happened. So I pressed the other and the 'ECO' mode came back on.

Here's the good news: the accidental press of the fuel door button didn't activate since (I think) the car was moving. Good catch by some engineer.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Re: Dumb button placement, good catch

The ECO button placement was the first 'goof' (and maybe still ranks as the most blatant to me) that I noticed when I got my TCH. There's almost no way you can see when it's illuminated to show that ECO is on. Luckily, the other ECO indicator in the center console, although small, will show you at a glance whether it's actually on.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Default Re: Dumb button placement, good catch

Originally Posted by stevenvillatoro
The ECO button placement was the first 'goof' (and maybe still ranks as the most blatant to me) that I noticed when I got my TCH. There's almost no way you can see when it's illuminated to show that ECO is on. Luckily, the other ECO indicator in the center console, although small, will show you at a glance whether it's actually on.
The button itself has an 'on' LED, but when I noticed the 'ECO' was off on the AC display, I could see nothing when I looked down into the utter blackness last night where the switch is. A flip LED would have been nice: red when off, green when on. There are three things down there: ECO, fuel door, hood release. It's a veritable grab-bag of fun.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Active Enthusiast

One possible solution to 'fumbling for the ECO button' is to cut a small square of self-adhesive velcro (The hook side) and stick it to the ECO button.Then you can easily feel the button in the dark and not accidentally open the fuel door while driving!..

Old 09-24-2006, 04:41 PM

I just make sure I never turn the AC down enough to cut it off.

Last edited by FL07THC; 09-24-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by WillyBill
One possible solution to 'fumbling for the ECO button' is to cut a small square of self-adhesive velcro (The hook side) and stick it to the ECO button.Then you can easily feel the button in the dark and not accidentally open the fuel door while driving!..
Some engineer at Toyota caught this possibilty and the fuel door won't open when the car is in motion (or in gear...I don't know which.) My hope is next time I'll grab the hood release and pop it while doing 40+mph. It's always cool to be driving around with the hood rattling on the safety catch, huh?

Old 09-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you are a bit cautious when wanting to push the ECO button, you can use your fingernail to feel the little rectangle for the light. Also, the gas tank button is quite a bit farther to the left under the mirror adjustment. I think just being aware of which one it is (right) will make it easier.