Electric Mode Range

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Electric Mode Range

Thanks Droid13.

In my first tank computer reading says I am getting 6.4L/100 KMs. I inceased tire pressure to 42/40 PSI from what ever it was from dealer. Actually I increased this tire presure when fuel indicator of first tank was around 3/4 full. I am pretty sure I lost some mileage due to low or factory reccomended tire presure for first 1/4 of tank. I am hoping to reach 6.2L/100 KMS when I refill. (approx 45 mpg - imperial)

With the conditions here in Regina, I think I am quite happy with what I am getting now. I will be happy if I get 38 MPG (imperial) in winter.

Despite following all the tips here in this forum and assuming perfect driving conditions, I am not sure I will ever hit or go beyond specs mpg of 50. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks all of you.

Last edited by pitokhato; 05-07-2007 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:40 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by pitokhato
Despite following all the tips here in this forum and assuming perfect driving conditions, I am not sure I will ever hit or go beyond specs mpg of 50. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Yea, the Transport Canada ratings were even a bit more generous than the old US EPA ratings. I only ever saw the govt rated 5.7 on my tank average once on an easy going hiway drive (although I did get to 5.8 on my current tank on Saturday). Sask is nice and flat, if you find yourself on a long run on a warm day where you can go 70 to 95kph I have seen the car settle into a steady 5L/100km on the instantaneous FE display for long periods that does wonders on the tank average display. It's a bit of a mystery though, some days its easy and other days it just won't.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:39 PM
Ace
Enthusiast

Hi Dave,
I was going to post a similar question, then I found yours. Could you tell me is the 2 mile range in all EV-mode in a stop and go situation?

I have my TCH for about a month now. Going home from work always get into this traffic jam just before this bridge (I'm in Vancouver). Today I finally paid some attention to the battery and see how long it last... and it didn't last all that far in a traffic jam, maybe 1 km. But I will watch it again tomorrow and repost. This time I'll reset my trip meter and watch my battery levels.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ace
Hi Dave,
I was going to post a similar question, then I found yours. Could you tell me is the 2 mile range in all EV-mode in a stop and go situation?

I have my TCH for about a month now. Going home from work always get into this traffic jam just before this bridge (I'm in Vancouver). Today I finally paid some attention to the battery and see how long it last... and it didn't last all that far in a traffic jam, maybe 1 km. But I will watch it again tomorrow and repost. This time I'll reset my trip meter and watch my battery levels.
it depends how hard you accelerate (and the no. of ppl in the car) and whether your A/C compressor is on.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ace
Hi Dave,

As I drive into work, from the last stoplight just off the base to my work building it is 2 miles. Normally at this area, I have a GREEN charge (1 bar used up). Speed limit 25 mph. Naturally, unless I hit the light, speed is 30 - 35. At that time, quite often the car would have just dropped into EV. From there to work, most of the time I'm on pure EV (no matter if it is stop & go or a straight shot). (I have to stop at security gate just before entering base.) After the stop, I slowly accelerate to 25 mph (base limit), slow for a few 90 degree turns (recharges battery - a little).

When I pull into parking lot, I normally have 2 - 3 bars left.

Because the ECU uses "fuzzy logic", if the ICE does turn on, I can't predict if it will shut down or will keep running.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 PM
Ace
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
it depends how hard you accelerate (and the no. of ppl in the car) and whether your A/C compressor is on.
OK... No A/C, one person, it is a traffic jam, so you can't accelerate, stay on ev-mode. Stop every 3 to 10 meters, no cruising.
Basically I'm just looking for rough estimate without bring out the scientific measuring instruments how far the HV battery can take you at crawing speed (say ~2 to 3 feet per second).

Come to think of it... I think I would want to do this. Set up a baseline of my HV battery since my car is only 1 month old. That way I would know down the road if my HV battery have become deteriorated and not able to hold its charge.
Anybody wants to participate for some stats gathering? Need to setup some common grounds.

- Find yourself a empty parking lot in a mall (late in the evening is probably easier)
- Record your battery level
- Reset you trip meter, start your stop watch.
- Go around in a big big circles without hitting the brakes or the gas paddle (in a safe manner)
- When the ICE comes on record your travel and time.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Problem #1 would be state of battery charge at the beginning of test. I find bars on navigation display highly inaccurate, sometimes it shows certain number of bars and it stays that way for long time then it drops 2 bars within seconds.
then you have a problem with power demand, even very small change in pedal pressure can increase/decrease amperage used by large amount, in other words the best you could do would be some very rough estimate. Driving first down some longer hill could assure fully charged battery, letting the car roll by itself without pedal pressure from dead stop could eliminate variability due to power demand and throttle pedal angle, but finding place where such test could be done safely would be more difficult I think. But this is very good idea to get base battery charge and compare that later after few years of driving. I need to come up with some "test track" of my own and see if I can do some testing based on temperature and get that base capacity to compare later. The whole test would be much more accurate if we had some way of reading amperage used, that way battery capacity could be calculated and compared to factory spec.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:21 PM
Enthusiast

The furthest I recall going is about 5km. On a flat side road in the Fraser Valley. Going about 60km/h. Next time I get a chance I'll measure exactly.

I have found the same thing as mentionned above that on certain days you can get outstanding mileage. I have seen the needle stay at around 4l/100 for long periods going about 80km/h on Zero Ave. Then the next day it won't do it. Conditions are similar but results are different.

I drive Chilliwack to Richmond BC everyday and average 5.9l on the display. I have found the display on my car to be very accurate, within 0.1l of measured consumption.

Old 06-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Ace
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Philt
I have found the display on my car to be very accurate, within 0.1l of measured consumption.
I'm getting about +/- 0.2L (3.3%) difference between measured and the readout. I'm on my third tank. I think also how well when I topped off the tank makes that difference. I think it would be hard to top it all the way without spilling!

Old 06-13-2007, 09:56 PM
Enthusiast

I noticed that if I topped up the readout would seem to be optimistic the first 100km. After that it adjusts and still ends-up accurate over the complete tank. I haven't tried to really overdo it but I usually add enough after the first click to get to the next point threshold. Gotta have those airline points you know. Sometimes that takes me 2 or 3 clicks. You can do that in Canada but in the US they seem to have a system that won't let you add more after it clicks.

Quick Reply: Electric Mode Range

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands