Electric Mode Range

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:44 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Electric Mode Range

Originally Posted by Philt
The furthest I recall going is about 5km. On a flat side road in the Fraser Valley. Going about 60km/h. Next time I get a chance I'll measure exactly.

I have found the same thing as mentionned above that on certain days you can get outstanding mileage. I have seen the needle stay at around 4l/100 for long periods going about 80km/h on Zero Ave. Then the next day it won't do it. Conditions are similar but results are different.

I drive Chilliwack to Richmond BC everyday and average 5.9l on the display. I have found the display on my car to be very accurate, within 0.1l of measured consumption.
I'm assuming you were gliding? I P&G'd on Lougheed Highway (westbound out of SFU) to about the Willingdon Ave. I got 15 mins of 2.5L/100km averages (this is the Prius on the Consumption Screen). After Willingdon, the traffic builds so it's 4-5L/100km averages after that.

Originally Posted by Ace
OK... No A/C, one person, it is a traffic jam, so you can't accelerate, stay on ev-mode. Stop every 3 to 10 meters, no cruising.
Basically I'm just looking for rough estimate without bring out the scientific measuring instruments how far the HV battery can take you at crawing speed (say ~2 to 3 feet per second).

Come to think of it... I think I would want to do this. Set up a baseline of my HV battery since my car is only 1 month old. That way I would know down the road if my HV battery have become deteriorated and not able to hold its charge.
Anybody wants to participate for some stats gathering? Need to setup some common grounds.

- Find yourself a empty parking lot in a mall (late in the evening is probably easier)
- Record your battery level
- Reset you trip meter, start your stop watch.
- Go around in a big big circles without hitting the brakes or the gas paddle (in a safe manner)
- When the ICE comes on record your travel and time.

Hmm, it'll be hard unless you have a Scan Gauge or CanView which gives you the SOC in %. If you rely on the screen, it's hard because the threshold at which the bars change is different going up and down (to avoid wild fluctutations if you're straddling the thresold).

Old 06-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Ace
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tideland Prius
Hmm, it'll be hard unless you have a Scan Gauge or CanView which gives you the SOC in %. If you rely on the screen, it's hard because the threshold at which the bars change is different going up and down (to avoid wild fluctutations if you're straddling the thresold).
I agreed... If it was just me, I would do it a few times to get a good average. If enough people are doing it. I'm sure a pattern will emerge, just like the FE bell curve you find on this site.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Ace — From my experience, I'd estimate that, on a flat road at a steady speed of ~60 km/h, you can probably get between 5 and 10 km in pure EV-mode on a battery that started out at 7/8-charge, before the ICE comes on again. If you are stopping and starting all the time, or using air-conditioning, you'll get considerably less.

Stan

Old 06-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Ace
Enthusiast

Thanks SPL.
I think I will find sometime this weekend and try it out myself.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Ace
Enthusiast

Well, I was stuck in my daily traffic jam. As I mention before, I would record how long and far the HV will last. I was down between -2 bar to - 3 bar from my MFD (I don't have a Nav), no A/C, the ICE come on after 12 min of stop and go, and only travelled 0.7 km.

Any comments on these numbers?

I still need to find some time to try it on a closed circuit.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

I drove 4.1km (2.5 miles) today on a flat, straight road. No wind, radio off, climate control off. I was driving 50kmh (30 mph). Zeroed the trip meter as the car went into electric only and recorded when engine came back on.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:01 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I drove 4.1km (2.5 miles) today on a flat, straight road. No wind, radio off, climate control off. I was driving 50kmh (30 mph). Zeroed the trip meter as the car went into electric only and recorded when engine came back on.
nice. Did the engine come on b/c you had 2 bars or because you drop one bar (cause I've noticed that the engine will come on when you lose a bar... then you can coax it back off again).

Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM
Ace
Enthusiast

Philt, According to my calculations... you only drove for 4.92 minutes. At any rate, I not sure if this would be an accurate way for owners to compare the condition of the HV battery.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:50 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Philt — Good data! Did you note what the MFD's battery display was both before and after the run? [There are 8 charge states that can be shown, including zero and full. Each is represented by two rows of pixels illuminating on the display.]

Stan

Old 06-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Enthusiast

I'll reply to the above:
1-I don't have the NAV display so I am relying on the display in the speedometer section. The engine came back on when the display showed about 2 bars left. The gas engine didn't try to come back on before that and I resisted trying to get another bit out of it by slowing down.

2-4.9 minutes seems long when you are going 50kmh on a country road. Remember that I was driving at a steady speed the whole time. No pulse and glide, no coaxing. I have gotten much longer times when sitting in heavy trafffic and moving only a bit at a time but that is too difficult to compare as you are only running the radio and the clime. The car will run about 20 min in that situation.

3- The display was on full when I started but I slowed through an intersection to start so it was in EV mode a few meters before I zeroed my km display. The non-Nav display may not be as clear to read but It looks like I had the equivalent of 2 levels left. It always comes back on at that level.

I tried something else a bit later. I live on the side of a mountain and the driveway in my complex is very steep and long. At one point it levels out and I usually go into EV mode due to the slow speed I am at. Then the steep hill starts again at a sharp curve. I had noticed that the car would stay in EV up the steep curve a ways so I decided to try to get it to stay in EV all the way up. By slowing down to 10kmh I was able to drive in EV all the way up. I drove about 300m. I was amazed that the car would stay in EV on such a steep hill. I can't get up this hill in the winter without chains and 4x4s have difficulty. Not very scientific but interesting.

Quick Reply: Electric Mode Range

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands