Hybrid system check after replacing hybrid battery pack

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 01:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Hybrid system check after replacing hybrid battery pack

Hi,

I have 2013 camry with 150k miles. I was getting hybrid system check warning with check engine light and triangle. I went to local repair they said you need battery pack. I replaced all the battery modules.

now car is shifting to hybrid and engine as it should be but hybrid system check came on with a triangle on. It is showing in permanent code. Vehicle is driving fine and still goes into EV mode and then shifts to engine.

i used oriely auto parts scan tool and cleared the warning but it comes again.

previously when hybrid light was coming on before changing hybrid battery packs. it used to disconnect the hybrid system and car was not shifting to hybrid mode at all. Please help. Thanks

Old 10-17-2021, 09:13 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Hybrid system check after replacing hybrid battery pack

I assume you're getting P0A80.

P0A80 on Generation 3 Toyota Hybrids do indeed set a permanent code. Permanent codes can only be cleared by the car FAILING to detect the fault after a given number of drive cycles or other criteria.

If you are getting a CURRENT P0A80 code, you have a legitimate battery fault.

"I replaced all the battery modules" - with what?

Old 10-17-2021, 09:50 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Keith, Yes, I am getting P0A80. But battery is working as it was in normal conditions. I replaced all 34 modules with refurbished modules got from ebay. I cleared the code using oriely scan tool but it was showing permanent code type. It shows up again on dash. I am thinking might be I damaged any connections while rebuilding battery with refurbished modules.

Originally Posted by S Keith
I assume you're getting P0A80.

P0A80 on Generation 3 Toyota Hybrids do indeed set a permanent code. Permanent codes can only be cleared by the car FAILING to detect the fault after a given number of drive cycles or other criteria.

If you are getting a CURRENT P0A80 code, you have a legitimate battery fault.

"I replaced all the battery modules" - with what?

Old 10-17-2021, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by bravo
Hi Keith, Yes, I am getting P0A80. But battery is working as it was in normal conditions. I replaced all 34 modules with refurbished modules got from ebay. I cleared the code using oriely scan tool but it was showing permanent code type. It shows up again on dash. I am thinking might be I damaged any connections while rebuilding battery with refurbished modules.
You likely did not get good modules. Please link the auction.

Old 10-23-2021, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

please see below link for purchase from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304173041806

I used hybrid doctor app today to see battery status. Can you please see attached pictures and let me know where does it leads to.

Originally Posted by S Keith
You likely did not get good modules. Please link the auction.

Attached Images
Old 10-24-2021, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

I scanned this morning again. I am getting 2 code P0A80 and P0AA6

Old 09-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Keith,

I wish I read a few of your response before letting the garage replace the battery modules.
We replaced all 34 modules and still receiving P0A80. Attached is the report from Hybrid assistant.
It looks like block 15 and 16 are bad. Can you please confirm and which other module I should be replace? Any other recommendations?

Thank you in advance,

Chucky

Attached Files
File Type: html
Old 09-12-2023, 08:46 PM

Unfortunately, block data reports on pairs. You could have one bad module or both. It's impossible to make diagnostic recommendations at the module level.

The garage that repaired your battery is incompetent in the extreme. That's effectively a junk battery. Anyone charging money for that repair is a criminal.

First arrow: The abrupt drop in SoC above 60% screams this is a horribly deteriorated battery.

Second arrow: Anything outside these two lines at the location indicated by the arrow should be replaced. Almost impossible to tell which blocks are which.

I would conclude the following blocks have one or two bad modules:
16, 15, 11
Probably bad:
9, 12
Marginal:
13, 14

It's possible that they are just at horribly different states of charge, and a grid charge to 100% might help clear up the picture.

Is it too late to get your money back? If you paid someone to fix your battery, you shouldn't be getting a P0A80.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

Keith,

Thank you for the quick analysis and much appreciate.
Already paid the garage and he is will to replace five recondition modular. 15,16, half on 11.

block 1 and 17 look very strong so I will ask him to mix with block 9 and 12.
Any other recommendation?

Old 09-13-2023, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

Keith,

Another question, how can I test the inverter if it is good or bad?

Thank you in advance,

Chucky

Quick Reply: Hybrid system check after replacing hybrid battery pack

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands