iPod Integration w/ No Nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default iPod Integration w/ No Nav

Hi all,

I have been lurking in the forum for about a week after test driving a TCH. I really enjoyed the car and did a lot of research before making the decision, but I picked it up last night. I got the Mag Grey w/ no NAV as I have a Garmin Nuvi that I am very happy with and the JBL audio system. I also figured that since I travel quite a bit, a NAV system that is integrated in the car would not be my best choice.

There is an absolute wealth of information on this site that really helped me make my decision and I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone.

I did however have one question, I am looking to integrate my iPod into the new car and while the AUX port will work temporarily, I would like to get a more permanent solution. I have read some information on the site about the DICE, Scosche and Vaistech solution but I am having trouble coming up with good info.

What I would really like to have is an adapter that allows me to use the steering wheel controls for controlling more than just the volume and something that would display the track information on my JBL radio (if that is even possible). One that pauses the tracks when I select a different source (like the radio or CD Player) or when I answer the phone would be nice too.

I have looked at the posts dealing with iPod integration as well as looked at the manufacturers' site but I am finding that the specific information I am looking for is lacking on how it integrates into the JBL systems without the NAV.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: iPod Integration w/ No Nav

I have the DICE in my TCH and it does everything you want including displaying MP3 tag info on the JBL radio and allowing full use of the steering wheel buttons. By picking between discs 1 - 5 (hold down the track up/down button), you can choose what the track up/down button does. It also pauses the ipod when you MODE off of the DICE, and it pauses when you take a bluetooth call. It charges the ipod whenever the car is on (regardless of the stereo being on). Anyone with standard tools and a little mechanical ability will be able to install it themself. There are ample directions on the 'net for the process of getting the stereo out to plug in the DICE module. I recommend putting the DICE and the ipod in the compartment below the radio in the dash.

Originally Posted by tegster
Hi all,

I have been lurking in the forum for about a week after test driving a TCH. I really enjoyed the car and did a lot of research before making the decision, but I picked it up last night. I got the Mag Grey w/ no NAV as I have a Garmin Nuvi that I am very happy with and the JBL audio system. I also figured that since I travel quite a bit, a NAV system that is integrated in the car would not be my best choice.

There is an absolute wealth of information on this site that really helped me make my decision and I wanted to take a moment to thank everyone.

I did however have one question, I am looking to integrate my iPod into the new car and while the AUX port will work temporarily, I would like to get a more permanent solution. I have read some information on the site about the DICE, Scosche and Vaistech solution but I am having trouble coming up with good info.

What I would really like to have is an adapter that allows me to use the steering wheel controls for controlling more than just the volume and something that would display the track information on my JBL radio (if that is even possible). One that pauses the tracks when I select a different source (like the radio or CD Player) or when I answer the phone would be nice too.

I have looked at the posts dealing with iPod integration as well as looked at the manufacturers' site but I am finding that the specific information I am looking for is lacking on how it integrates into the JBL systems without the NAV.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: iPod Integration w/ No Nav

Thanks Ntguru! That is precisely the information I was looking for. The DICE seemed to be the best choice for my application. I had a Monster iCruze in my Nissan Maxima hooked to the CD changer port that I installed myself. And since the installation of the DICE seems even more straightforward, I should be able to complete it on my own.

The iCruze worked well enough but there were certain things that did not work as well as I would have hoped (The thing would not pause when I shut the car off, etc.) Not a big deal, I would just like something more integrated for this car. That is why I thought I would ask here so I did not get in the same situation with a half baked solution.

Thanks again!